It has been long-known -- though some prefer to ignore or mislead -- that Cuba's most famed "paladares" (supposedly "private" restaurants) are "connected" to the Castro regime's military or intelligence elite.
A cable from the State Department first noted this charade back in 2006:
(C) The [Government of Cuba] stopped giving licenses to new paladars (home-based restaurants) several years ago, raising questions as to what the remaining operations had done to stay open. An American specialist on the topic posited that all upscale paladars were in some way "connected." For example, a USINT officer outside the XXXXXX paladar XXXXXX spotted the supposedly "self-employed" owner drive up in a car with Ministry of the Interior (MININT) plates. A one-table paladar in the Santa Fe neighborhood (known as the "fish paladar") reportedly enjoys an elite clientele - Raul Castro. In these days of heightened state control, merely bribing inspectors is not enough to stay open.
Continuing this trend, Cubanet has revealed that "Star Bien," one of those famed (and supposedly "private") Havana "paladares" featured in travel magazines, is owned by the son of Cuba's Minister of the Interior, the infamous General Abelardo Colome Ibarra.
This is also a favorite stop of the Obama Administration's so-called "people-to-people" travelers.
More "reform" you can't believe in.
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/12 - 01/19
- Dissident Leaders React to Possible Review of EU C...
- Celebrating Modern-Day Terrorism in Havana
- Tweet of the Day: Warning Dissidents Prior to CELA...
- A Not-so-Veiled (and Irresponsible) Threat Against...
- Granma Editor Defects to U.S.
- Our Opposition to Odebrecht
- Tweet and Quote of the Day: A Rogue's Resort
- The Cuban Five and The Taliban Five
- Cuban General Upset His "Paladar" Was Exposed
- Cuba Supports Nuclear Iran
- Cuba: 2nd Least Free Economy in the World
- Quote of the Day: On Cuba's "Self-Employed"
- Kerry Talks Cuba at The Vatican
- A Year for (Mostly) Leaving Cuba
- Cuba: Religious Freedom Violations Increase in 201...
- Quote of the Day: On the Cuban Military's Business...
- The MININT's Paladares
- Quote of the Day: On Death of Young American in Cu...
- Free Ivan Fernandez Depestre
- Bob Graham Being "Propagandized" w/ Moot Cuba Trip...
- ▼ 01/12 - 01/19 (20)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)