Venezuela's government will allow the country to implode rather than upset its rulers in Havana.
From El Nuevo Herald:
Oil income is no longer sufficient to guarantee the supply of bread and medicines in Venezuela, and the government of Nicolas Maduro has been forced to devalue the bolivar and further limit Venezuelan's access to dollars. But there's one area that the "chavista" leader doesn't dare cut: the massive [oil] subsidy to the Cuban economy.
The economic crisis that has engulfed Venezuela, with its oil income insufficient to cover the needs of the country, has led the government to cut the national budget by 63% in real terms [...]
But the subsidy of over 100,000 daily barrels and other support for Cuba, worth more than $6.5 billion a year, remains intact, raising questions about what are the real priorities of "chavismo."
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
01/26 - 02/02
- Cuba's Not-So-Self Employed
- Tweet of the Week: On Mexico's President in Cuba
- U.N. Cuba 2014
- Must-Watch: Gusano
- Politifact Debunks Senator Harkin: On Cuban Health...
- Cuba Summit Was Mostly Political Tourism (Circus)
- U.S. Fugitive in Cuba "Re-Surges" in BBC Documenta...
- State Department: CELAC Betrays Democratic Princip...
- Adrienne Arsht's Political Hatchet Job
- Obama Administration (Sadly) Bamboozled by Assad
- Sr. Obama Advisor: Cuba Policy Remains Focused on ...
- The Exception
- Quote of the Day: On Dilma's Cuba Project
- Tweet of the Day: Fear in Cuba
- Venezuela is Cuba's Colony
- The Engagement Model in Full Display
- Tweets of the Day: U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power ...
- IBD Editorial Board: As Leaders Praise Castro, Bea...
- CSW: Cuban Pastor Threatened and Arrested
- Ban Ki-moon's Cynical Remarks in Cuba
- Quote of the Week: From Amnesty International
- Tweet of the Week
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: The Hypocrisy Summit...
- WaPo Editorial Board: EU Mustn't Overlook Human Ri...
- Why the OAS is Irrelevant Today
- Note to Ban Ki-moon: Meet With the Victims
- Over 144 Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit...
- Menendez Foes Stumble in Smear Campaign
- Tweet of the Day
- Dissidents Arrested Ahead of CELAC Summit
- ▼ 01/26 - 02/02 (30)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)