Eighteen-years later -- justice awaits.
From the final judgment by Senior U.S. District Judge Lawrence King in the civil lawsuit against the Castro regime and the Cuban Air Force (FAR):
The government of Cuba, on February 24th 1996, in outrageous contempt for international law and basic human rights, murdered four human beings in international airspace over the Florida Straits. The victims were Brothers to the Rescue pilots, flying two civilian unarmed planes on a routine humanitarian mission, searching for rafters in the waters between Cuba and the Florida Keys.
As the civilian planes flew over international waters, a Russian built MiG 29 of the Cuban Air Force, without warning, reason, or provocation blasted the defenseless planes out of the sky with sophisticated air-to-air missiles in two separate attacks. The pilots and their aircraft disintegrated in the mid-air explosions following the impact of the missiles. The destruction was so complete that the four bodies were never recovered.
As regards the criminal case:
In August 2003, a federal grand jury returned the indictment against General Ruben Martinez Puente, who at the time headed the Cuban Air Force, and fighter pilots Lorenzo Alberto Perez-Perez and Francisco Perez-Perez. The defendants were charged with four counts of murder, one count of conspiracy to kill U.S. nationals and two counts of destruction of aircraft.
And Cuban dictators Fidel and Raul Castro admitting they gave the order:
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
02/23 - 03/02
- Are Cuban Special Forces Shooting Venezuelan Prote...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuela Is Not Subject to Nego...
- Quote of the Day: Venezuelan Blogger to Jimmy Cart...
- Image of the Day: Fidel and Venezuela
- How Cuba Exports Repression to Venezuela
- Tweet of the Day: On Cuba's Violation of Venezuela...
- RWB: Dissident Blogger Completes Year in Detention...
- Senate Resolution Targets Venezuelan Rights Violat...
- Quote of the Week: Secretary Kerry on Imprisoned C...
- Cuba Sanctions Serve U.S. Interests
- Castro Regime Requires Firm Hand, Not Velvet Glove...
- Russian Spy Ship Docked in Havana
- Quote of the Day: Damaris Moya Portieles
- Tweet of the Day: Russian Bases in "Zone of Peace"...
- Image of the Day: Venezuela's Ladies in White
- The Castro Caucus
- Cuban Democracy Leader Dr. Oscar Elias Biscet Beat...
- El Que Se Cansa, Pierde
- Must-Watch: Rubio Floor Speech on Cuba, Venezuela
- Jeff Flake Hosts Religious (Political) Persecutors...
- To Confront Maduro is to Confront Castro
- Polling With an Agenda
- Arsht Center's Week-in-Review: Ignore Venezuela, T...
- Over 70 Ladies in White Arrested Sunday
- An Act of Terrorism by Cuba's Regime
- WSJ: Cuba's Role Behind the Turmoil in Venezuela
- Maduro Wants Talks With Obama, Not Opposition
- Their Sacrifice Will Not Be in Vain
- Iran Delegation Heads to Cuba, Syria & Lebanon
- ▼ 02/23 - 03/02 (29)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)