The Economist tends to be a bit ingenuous at times, particularly in addressing the motivations of tyrants and in its advocacy for increased business with dictators.
So we weren't surprised when it asked this week:
"It is unclear to what extent Mr Maduro is actually calling the shots. After images emerged of Sebin officers apparently firing on demonstrators, the president claimed they had disobeyed his orders and sacked the general in charge. He also attempted to distance himself from pro-regime gunmen on motorcycles by saying such groups 'had no place in the revolution'. But Iris Varela, the prisons minister, tweeted gleefully that the opposition was “shit-scared” of the colectivos, calling them a 'fundamental pillar in the defence of the homeland'. And not long after Mr Maduro declared anyone using firearms should act within the law, the same black-clad irregulars staged an armed raid on the headquarters of Popular Will, Mr López’s party. If not the president, who is putting the thugs on the street?"
Let's give them a hand.
Meet Cuban dictators Fidel and Raul Castro.
02/16 - 02/23
- Ukraine Ousts Yanukovych, Releases Opposition Lead...
- Venezuela: Another Reason Why Cuba Remains a State...
- Answering The Economist's Question on Venezuela
- Quote of the Week: Latin America's Complicit Silen...
- Leopoldo Lopez: "I Do Not Negotiate With Dictators...
- Will Miami-Dade Commissioners Side With Odebrecht ...
- Event Tonight: D.C. Youth Forum With Rosa Maria Pa...
- It's Not Time to Change U.S. Policy Toward Cuba
- Latin America's Evildoers and Their Enablers
- Must-Watch: Young Cuban Democracy Activists Suppor...
- Proud to Stand With the "Hard-Liners"
- Cuban Democracy Leader Savagely Beaten
- Castro Rejects Banking Solution, Opts for Blackmai...
- How Much Capital Does Castro Require for "Influenc...
- A Civil Rights Movement is Happening in Cuba, Pt. ...
- WaPo Editorial Board: Cuba's Changes Are Mere Wind...
- Confiscated Cuban Sugar Mill Owners Counter Fanjul...
- Tweet of the Week
- Learn What's Happening in Venezuela
- Cuba Training Venezuelan Armed Groups
- Chairman Menendez on Protests in Venezuela
- ▼ 02/16 - 02/23 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)