From Washington Free Beacon:
Cuban Activist Arrested Ahead of Human Rights Summit
Home of activist ‘Antúnez’ raided before UN Watch human rights event in Geneva
A prominent Cuban opposition activist has been arrested ahead of a United Nations-related human rights conference he was expected to attend in Geneva, his supporters said Wednesday.
Jorge Luis García Pérez, known as “Antúnez,” was reportedly arrested with several other activists after Cuban state security forces raided his home around 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday, according to the Cuban Democratic Directorate.
Antúnez’s brother Loreto Hernández García, who said he was detained along with Antúnez but later released, called the raid a “high level operation of the political police with fire trucks, six patrol cars, five trucks, approximately four skid trailers of police.”
“The political police painted the house blue, the whole house, all the signs were painted over,” García said. “And they took the television, the computer, they have even taken the pots. They took it all, and what powerfully catches my attention of this that is happening, is that a senior official whose name I do not know said he did not know whether Antúnez returns or is going back to prison.”
Antúnez is the leader of the Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Front for Civic Resistance and Civil Disobedience (OZT Front) and one of Cuba’s most high-profile opposition figures. He spent 17 years in prison and was released amid international pressure in 2007.
Supporters said the arrest could be related to his expected attendance at the upcoming Geneva Summit for Human Rights and Democracy, and claimed the Cuban government had been delaying his efforts to get travel documents.
- ► 2016 (644)
- ► 2015 (1080)
02/02 - 02/09
- Quote of the Day
- Cuban Doctor Files Lawsuit in Brazil
- Over 70 Dissidents Arrested in Violent Raids
- Cuban Rocker Faces Sham Trial
- Shanker Institute Condemns Repression Against Prom...
- A Civil Rights Movement is Happening in Cuba
- Bernie Sanders Wants to Outsource U.S. Jobs to Cub...
- U.N. Working Group Calls for Imprisoned Labor Lead...
- Rubio on Cuba, CELAC's Hypocrisy
- Menendez Had Warned About Alfy Fanjul
- Note to Reuters: Being Pro-Democracy is Not "Anti-...
- Quote(s) of the Day: On Cuban Doctors in Brazil
- Tweet of the Day: From Brazilian Legislator
- Cuban Doctor in Brazil Seeks Asylum
- Cuban Democracy Leader Antunez Arrested, Missing
- CNN Poll: Castro Most Disliked Tyrant Among Americ...
- Obama's "Rodman-esque" Cuba Policy
- Tweet of the Day: On Most Disliked Tyrants
- Over 1,050 Political Arrests in January
- Diaz-Balart: Fanjul Should Focus on Freedom, Not L...
- Ros-Lehtinen: Fanjul's Actions Are Shameful
- Sugar Tycoon Eyes Sweet-Deal With Castro
- Tweet of the Day
- Quote of the Day
- Pena Nieto Is for Reform, Just Not in Cuba
- ▼ 02/02 - 02/09 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)