Shameful for a Cuban-American Who Fled the Castro Regime to Consider Putting Business Interests Ahead of Cuban People’s Democratic Aspirations, Says Ros-Lehtinen
WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), Chairman of the Subcommittee on the Middle East and North Africa, made the following statement on reports of Cuban-American sugar tycoon Alfonso Fanjul considering investing in Cuba. Statement by Ros-Lehtinen:
"At a time when the democracy activists on the island are facing even harsher reprisals from the brutal Cuban regime, it's pathetic that a Cuban-American tycoon feels inspired to trample on the backs of those activists in order to give the communist thugs more money with which to repress. The only little old thing that is standing in Alfy's way of realizing these sleazy business deals with the devil is US law. He doesn't talk about the arbitrary arrests of pro-freedom leaders in Cuba or the continual beatings endured by the peaceful Damas de Blanco. Oh no, for Alfy, the only hindrance to turning a profit off the suffering of the Cuban people is pesky US laws and he is working with groups to undo those laws. It is sickening to read that he brings up the separation of the Cuban family when he is doing all he can to exacerbate that problem. Shame on him. And while Alfy was massaging his future profit deals with Castro's Foreign Minister, there were over one thousand political arrests last month. A new record. What's it all about, Alfy? It's about a people who yearn for freedom and not about a tycoon lining his pockets at their expense."
- ► 2016 (318)
- ► 2015 (1080)
02/02 - 02/09
- Quote of the Day
- Cuban Doctor Files Lawsuit in Brazil
- Over 70 Dissidents Arrested in Violent Raids
- Cuban Rocker Faces Sham Trial
- Shanker Institute Condemns Repression Against Prom...
- A Civil Rights Movement is Happening in Cuba
- Bernie Sanders Wants to Outsource U.S. Jobs to Cub...
- U.N. Working Group Calls for Imprisoned Labor Lead...
- Rubio on Cuba, CELAC's Hypocrisy
- Menendez Had Warned About Alfy Fanjul
- Note to Reuters: Being Pro-Democracy is Not "Anti-...
- Quote(s) of the Day: On Cuban Doctors in Brazil
- Tweet of the Day: From Brazilian Legislator
- Cuban Doctor in Brazil Seeks Asylum
- Cuban Democracy Leader Antunez Arrested, Missing
- CNN Poll: Castro Most Disliked Tyrant Among Americ...
- Obama's "Rodman-esque" Cuba Policy
- Tweet of the Day: On Most Disliked Tyrants
- Over 1,050 Political Arrests in January
- Diaz-Balart: Fanjul Should Focus on Freedom, Not L...
- Ros-Lehtinen: Fanjul's Actions Are Shameful
- Sugar Tycoon Eyes Sweet-Deal With Castro
- Tweet of the Day
- Quote of the Day
- Pena Nieto Is for Reform, Just Not in Cuba
- ▼ 02/02 - 02/09 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)