Excerpt from The Tampa Tribune's "Venezuela-Cuba alliance’s shaky future fuels debate":
Another scenario comes from Mauricio Claver-Carone, director of U.S.-Cuba Democracy PAC, a Washington D.C. lobbying group promoting democracy in Cuba.
During the Special Period, Claver-Carone said, Cuba began making economic reforms. For instance, farmers were allowed to sell surplus production and some self-employment was permitted.
Fidel Castro made these exceptions, he said, to retain power. When the people get antsy, the philosophy goes, promise them changes.
Recent reforms started when Venezuela’s Chavez grew ill in 2011. Raul Castro, Claver-Carone said, knew the partnership would be in jeopardy once Chavez died.
All this argues for tightening the embargo, Claver-Carone said.
“It’s hard to believe anyone would think a 55-year dictatorship would do anything for reasons other than to stay in power,” he said. “If they believed in democracy and open markets, they wouldn’t have headed a totalitarian regime for 55 years.”
- ► 2016 (660)
- ► 2015 (1080)
03/02 - 03/09
- Honoring the Women of Cuba and Venezuela
- Does the Media's Cuba Misreporting Extend to Venez...
- French Banks Investigated for Sanctions Violations...
- Obama Sanctions Russian Aggressors. And Venezuela'...
- Cuba Reaffirms Intervention in Venezuela, Supports...
- Tweet of the Week: On Meeting Insulza
- Only One Poll Matters in Cuba Policy
- What NYT Doesn't Say About "Private Enterprise" in...
- Venezuelan Legislators Denounce Cuban Interference...
- Cuba Manipulates Health Care Statistics
- Chavez Mentor: Venezuela Has Been Occupied by the ...
- Will Miami-Dade County Keep Supporting Maduro's Al...
- Miami Congressman Talks Cuba Policy w/ NYT
- U.S. House Condemns Venezuela's Deadly Repression
- Six-Years Later: Raul's Signature "Reform" Fails
- Financial Times Proposes Castro (Putin) as "Peacef...
- Over 1,051 Political Arrests in February
- Putin (Castro) Has Europe's Number
- Iran Delegation Departs for Venezuela, Cuba in Rus...
- Obama Warns Russia on Ukraine Intervention, Silent...
- Video: Female Dissident's Protest in Central Havan...
- Kudos to Jared Leto, Kevin Spacey & Kerry Washingt...
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 47
- Tweet of the Day: Dictators Must be Confronted
- ▼ 03/02 - 03/09 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)