The timing of this "purchase" is particularly interesting, as Antonov is a Russian state-owned company, whose headquarters and main industrial grounds are located in the Ukraine (near Kiev).
The meeting with Fidel Castro's son took place at Antonov's regional plant in Voronezh, 50 miles north of the Ukrainian border, where Putin is building up Russian tanks and troops.
During his visit, Castro cynically stated that "Russia is not alone" and that his family's regime "felt specially proud to stand together with his [Russian] brothers as they face threats and sanctions."
This visit and "purchase" took place as the U.N. voted to condemn Russia's annexation of the Crimea.
Obviously, it'd be very interesting to learn the actual terms of this deal.
From RIA Novosti:
Cuba To Buy Russian Antonov Regional Jets
Russia's Voronezh Aircraft Plant will supply Cuba with Antonov An-148 regional jets, officials in the region where the factory is based said Friday.
"Today's decision on An-148 supplies to Cuba opens a new market for us," Alexei Gordeyev, the acting Governor of Voronezh Region said after a meeting with senior Cuban officials, including scientific advisor Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart and the country's ambassador to Russia, Emilio Lozada García.
Russian and Cuban authorities discussed other potential areas for increased bilateral cooperation during the meeting, including in healthcare and education.
at 9:41 AM Saturday, March 29, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
03/23 - 03/30
- Ukraine Angle to Cuba's "Purchase" of Russian Anto...
- Should Castro's Elite Receive U.S. Visas?
- Quote of the Day: On Cuba's "New" Foreign Investme...
- Data Trumps (Theoretical) Danger of a Cuban Collap...
- Cuba Supports Russia, Syria and North Korea at U.N...
- North Korean Ship Reappears in Havana
- Quote of the Day: Rubio on Venezuela
- Castro's "New" Foreign Investment Law = No Rights ...
- Tweet of the Day: Putin's Supporters
- Leopoldo Lopez to LatAm Leaders: To Be Silent is t...
- Congressional Testimony: Autocracy v. Democracy in...
- Here We Go Again: Foreign Investment Law Edition
- Can Chavistas Save Venezuela From Cuba?
- Venezuela Sacks Ambassador to Cuba
- Another Oil Company Relinquishes Cuba Block
- ▼ 03/23 - 03/30 (15)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)