Venezuela Reps Denounce Cuba Influence
Venezuelan legislators of widely different political stripes Wednesday denounced the influence of Cuba in the country, saying it is to blame for the erosion of the Venezuelan economy, security and human rights while warning that if no peaceful path is found to resolve the month-long, nationwide popular demonstrations the situation could deteriorate into something much more severe.
Addressing the nearly four weeks of protests, Leomagno Flores, deputy from the social democratic Democratic Action (AD) party, said, "We are protesting on the streets against the Cuban presence as well, which threatens Venezuelan sovereignty."
Americo de Grazia, a representative of the leftist Radical Cause Party (Causa R), said the presence of Cubans in Venezuela - security forces, doctors and other officials - "is now normal, no one is surprised by it."
But this influence has resulted in "techniques for repression never before seen in Venezuela," de Grazia said in response to a question at a forum hosted by the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a Washington-based think tank.
- ► 2016 (660)
- ► 2015 (1080)
03/02 - 03/09
- Honoring the Women of Cuba and Venezuela
- Does the Media's Cuba Misreporting Extend to Venez...
- French Banks Investigated for Sanctions Violations...
- Obama Sanctions Russian Aggressors. And Venezuela'...
- Cuba Reaffirms Intervention in Venezuela, Supports...
- Tweet of the Week: On Meeting Insulza
- Only One Poll Matters in Cuba Policy
- What NYT Doesn't Say About "Private Enterprise" in...
- Venezuelan Legislators Denounce Cuban Interference...
- Cuba Manipulates Health Care Statistics
- Chavez Mentor: Venezuela Has Been Occupied by the ...
- Will Miami-Dade County Keep Supporting Maduro's Al...
- Miami Congressman Talks Cuba Policy w/ NYT
- U.S. House Condemns Venezuela's Deadly Repression
- Six-Years Later: Raul's Signature "Reform" Fails
- Financial Times Proposes Castro (Putin) as "Peacef...
- Over 1,051 Political Arrests in February
- Putin (Castro) Has Europe's Number
- Iran Delegation Departs for Venezuela, Cuba in Rus...
- Obama Warns Russia on Ukraine Intervention, Silent...
- Video: Female Dissident's Protest in Central Havan...
- Kudos to Jared Leto, Kevin Spacey & Kerry Washingt...
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 47
- Tweet of the Day: Dictators Must be Confronted
- ▼ 03/02 - 03/09 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)