Kudos to the Board of Commissioners of Miami-Dade County, which passed a resolution yesterday condemning the repressive actions of Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro.
But the question now is:
Will Miami-Dade County continue handing billions in taxpayer funds to Odebrecht, the Brazilian conglomerate that has been a main backer of the Chavez and Maduro governments?
Or was the resolution an exercise in empty rhetoric?
Similar to its partnership with Castro's military, Odebrecht has been a strategic ally of Chavez and Maduro.
We reiterate, Odebrecht is not a company that casually cuts a deal or two with tyrannical regimes. It is the gold standard of companies that profit from repressive regimes throughout the world.
“In Venezuela, this company is behaving very well,” Chavez said in 2008, recalling that Odebrecht refused to participate in the opposition's 2002 strike that shut down Venezuela.
Odebrecht has partnered with Chavez-Maduro in infrastructure, real estate, industrial, oil and gas and petrochemical projects.
Chavez loved Odebrecht so much that he once "joked" he was converting its CEO, Marcelo Odebrecht, to "21st century socialism."
Odebrecht even donated money for a book on Simon Bolivar for Chavez to distribute during one of his political campaigns.
And when Chavez died, it rooted for Maduro to replace him.
So will Miami-Dade County really stand with Venezuelan-Americans against their brethren's repressors?
Or will it keep forking over their taxpayer funds to Maduro's business partner, Odebrecht?
at 9:51 AM Wednesday, March 5, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
03/02 - 03/09
- Honoring the Women of Cuba and Venezuela
- Does the Media's Cuba Misreporting Extend to Venez...
- French Banks Investigated for Sanctions Violations...
- Obama Sanctions Russian Aggressors. And Venezuela'...
- Cuba Reaffirms Intervention in Venezuela, Supports...
- Tweet of the Week: On Meeting Insulza
- Only One Poll Matters in Cuba Policy
- What NYT Doesn't Say About "Private Enterprise" in...
- Venezuelan Legislators Denounce Cuban Interference...
- Cuba Manipulates Health Care Statistics
- Chavez Mentor: Venezuela Has Been Occupied by the ...
- Will Miami-Dade County Keep Supporting Maduro's Al...
- Miami Congressman Talks Cuba Policy w/ NYT
- U.S. House Condemns Venezuela's Deadly Repression
- Six-Years Later: Raul's Signature "Reform" Fails
- Financial Times Proposes Castro (Putin) as "Peacef...
- Over 1,051 Political Arrests in February
- Putin (Castro) Has Europe's Number
- Iran Delegation Departs for Venezuela, Cuba in Rus...
- Obama Warns Russia on Ukraine Intervention, Silent...
- Video: Female Dissident's Protest in Central Havan...
- Kudos to Jared Leto, Kevin Spacey & Kerry Washingt...
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 47
- Tweet of the Day: Dictators Must be Confronted
- ▼ 03/02 - 03/09 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)