For the 41st Sunday in a row, dozens of the The Ladies in White were beaten and arrested throughout the island.
The Ladies in White is a pro-democracy group composed of the mothers, wives, sisters and other relatives of Cuban political prisoners,
At least 17 were arrested in Havana, 18 in Matanzas, 7 in Bayamo and 8 in Holguin.
Meanwhile, in the easternmost province of Santiago de Cuba, over 29 were arrested, including the regional leader of the group, Belkis Cantillo.
To add insult to injury, at a funeral yesterday for the father of Ibis Maria Rodriguez, a member of The Ladies in White, the political police physically assaulted Ibis and other dissidents. It also arrested her husband, Fermin Zamora Vazquez.
Pictured below: Police operation ready to confront The Ladies in White, as they peacefully walk together after Eastern Mass in Matanzas.
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
04/20 - 04/27
- "Cuban Twitter" Modeled After U.S. Programs in Afg...
- "30 Days for Freedom" Campaign: Release Cuban Jour...
- Quote of the Week: Elena Poniatowska on Fidel
- @NETmundial: Russia and Cuba Push for Internet Cen...
- Major Hurdles for Foreign Investors in Cuba
- Provocative, But True: Cuba's Modified-Nazi Wage P...
- Pentagon: Russian Spy Ship Operating Near Cuba
- Garcia Marquez: Gifted Writer, But No Hero
- Background: MLB's Requirements for Cuban Players G...
- FL Lawmakers to MLB: End Disparities for Cuban Pla...
- Raul's Distorted Reforms
- The FARC's (and Castro's) Favorite Congressman
- Recommended Reading for "Cuban Twitter" Critics: D...
- Quote of the Day: "Cuban Twitter" is a Good Thing
- Another Reason Why Cuba Remains a State-Sponsor of...
- Why Raul's Reforms Don't Work
- 41st Sunday in a Row: Ladies in White Beaten, Arre...
- Tweet of the Day: In Mariel, Castro Will Only Stea...
- WSJ: Three Easters in a Cuban Prison
- Confiscations Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow
- Dilma Hearts Dictators
- ▼ 04/20 - 04/27 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)