USAID Statement in Reference to the Associated Press Article on "Cuban Twitter":
It is longstanding U.S. policy to help Cubans increase their ability to communicate with each other and with the outside world. Working with resources provided by Congress for exactly this purpose, USAID is proud of its work in Cuba to provide basic humanitarian assistance, promote human rights and universal freedoms, and to help information flow more freely to the Cuban people. All of our work in Cuba, including this project, was reviewed in detail in 2013 by the Government Accountability Office and found to be consistent with U.S. law and appropriate under oversight controls.
It is also no secret that in hostile environments, governments take steps to protect the partners we are working with on the ground. The purpose of the Zunzuneo project was to create a platform for Cubans to speak freely among themselves, period. At the initial stages, the grantee sent tech news, sports scores, weather, and trivia to build interest and engage Cubans. After that, Cubans were able to talk among themselves, and we are proud of that. USAID is a development agency and we work all over the world to help people exercise their universal rights and freedoms.
- ► 2016 (660)
- ► 2015 (1080)
03/30 - 04/06
- Tweet of the Week: Kudos to Kevin Spacey
- Bloomberg View Spot On Regarding "Cuban Twitter"
- CNN Dinero on Cuba's Foreign Investment Law
- Quote of the Day: On "Cuban Twitter"
- Senator Leahy's Fake (Hypocritical) Outrage on Cub...
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 48
- White House on "Cuban Twitter"
- Kudos to USAID on "Cuban Twitter" Statement
- AP Considers Twitter "Subversive" -- for Cubans
- In Cuba Policy Debate, Theories Don't Cut It
- Yoani Meets Biden
- Castro More Dependent on Subsidies Than Ever
- Cuba: Over 810 Political Arrests in March
- Silence on Venezuela
- Image: A Prayer for Democracy
- How Castro Manipulates Foreign Investors
- Cuban and Russian Security Chiefs Discuss Repressi...
- New ID Card Expands Cuba's Control Over Venezuelan...
- Over 70 Ladies in White Arrested Yesterday
- Must-Read: The Extent of Castro's Control in Venez...
- Tweets of the Day: Castro's Labor Monopoly
- The Farce of Castro's "Reforms"
- Quote of the Day: Cuban State Reigns Supreme
- Tweets of the Day: The Cuban Apartheid
- Image: Cuban Spy Chiefs Receive Repatriated Agent
- ▼ 03/30 - 04/06 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)