With all the news and fake outrage by U.S. Senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) regarding the "Cuban Twitter" program, it's important to remember why efforts to provide the Cuban people with connectivity and technology platforms is so important.
According to the most recent Freedom on the Net report, a yearly compilation of Internet freedom by Freedom House:
Cuba ranked as the world's 2nd worst violator of Internet and digital media freedom.
Only Iran ranked worse. North Korea was not ranked due to lack of any information.
Cuba ranked worse than Syria, Belarus, Burma, Bahrain, Sudan and Egypt -- all countries that Senator Leahy supports funding Internet freedom projects for.
at 6:40 PM Tuesday, April 8, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
04/06 - 04/13
- Families of Shootdown Victims: No Spies for Gross ...
- Amnesty "Prisoner of Conscience" Brutally Beaten
- French Group to Foreign Minister: Don't Ignore Rig...
- 26 Other Countries Where U.S. Funds Internet Freed...
- "Cuban Twitter" is Consistent With International L...
- Menendez Opening Statement in USAID Hearing
- Rubio Exchange With USAID Administrator
- Castro Resends Ransom Note for U.S. Hostage
- Cuba: 45-Year-Old Dissident Spent 23-Years as Poli...
- Ros-Lehtinen Questions USAID Administrator on "Cub...
- State Department Official's Timely Speech on Socia...
- Tweet of the Week: The Little Ladies in White
- Reminder: Cuba Ranks as World's 2nd Worst Internet...
- Video: Chairman Menendez's Cuba Speech
- Alan Gross is Being Held Hostage
- Rubio Questions Kerry on Venezuela, Cuba
- MH Editorial Board: "Cuban Twitter" is Commendable...
- MUST-READ: Chairman Menendez Floor Speech on Cuba
- Eight Facts About the "Cuban Twitter"
- Venezuela Provides Castro Private Luxury Jets
- Castro's "Murder, Inc."
- WaPo Editorial Board: "Cuban Twitter" Plan Should ...
- Confirmed: North Korea's Ambassador to Cuba Execut...
- In My Humble Opinion, Pt. 49
- Where's the Outrage? Why the Double-Standard? Who'...
- More AP Sensationalism on "Cuban Twitter"
- ▼ 04/06 - 04/13 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)