Last week, the Pentagon also confirmed the presence of a Russian spy ship operating off the coasts of Cuba.
Lavrov to visit Cuba as tensions with West over Ukraine
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov was expected in Havana Monday for a two day visit, the foreign ministry said, amid high tensions with the West over Ukraine.
Cuba has sided with Russia in the worst East-West crisis since the Cold War, but has yet to speak directly to the issue.
Lavrov will meet with his Cuban counterpart, Bruno Rodriguez, Tuesday morning, the Cuban Foreign Ministry said in an invitation to the press to cover the meeting.
Russia's top diplomat is likely to meet with Cuban President Raul Castro as well.
Moscow and Havana were close allies for 30 years during the Cold War, until the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991. After a rift under former Russian president Boris Yeltsin, they resumed political and economic ties as well as military cooperation.
The United States and the European Union sought to punish Moscow for the crisis Monday with another round of sanctions against Ukrainian and Russian figures and companies.
As pro-Kremlin militias continue to seize government buildings in eastern Ukraine, US and EU authorities decided that Moscow is showing no sign of 'de-escalating' the crisis by living up to the Geneva accord reached April 17.
- ► 2016 (651)
- ► 2015 (1080)
04/27 - 05/04
- On #PressFreedomDay: Two Cuban #InfoHeroes:
- Castro's Russian Power Play Over the European Unio...
- Tweets of the Week: Young Cuban Democracy Leader o...
- #FreeThePress: State Department Recognizes Cuban I...
- Images: Ladies in White Attacked and Arrested at F...
- Kudos to Ambassador Power
- Cuba's Support for Venezuela's Paramilitary "Colec...
- Did North Korea Use Cuban Artillery Shells in Live...
- Cuba Remains a State-Sponsor of Terrorism
- MUST-READ: Cuba is Open for Business That Might La...
- Tweet of the Day: Russian Foreign Minister Yachtin...
- Two Important Points About Cuba's New Foreign Inve...
- A Middle-Ground Approach to Help Cuba's "Self-Empl...
- Over 85 Ladies in White Arrested on Sunday
- Castro's Newest Economic Non-Reform
- Russian Foreign Minister Headed to Cuba
- Repercussions for Alan Gross' Hostage-Taking Are L...
- U.S. Confronts Consequences of Underestimating Nor...
- President Obama's Letter on Venezuela
- ▼ 04/27 - 05/04 (19)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)