When U.S. Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donohue concluded his last trip to Cuba in 1999, he sold us the following bill-of-goods, via The Cato Institute:
"One thing Cuba must do is allow its private sector to grow. This would help open Cuban society and help the Cuban economy. We want to be the catalyst for this change. For that reason, we hope Congress will give us a hand and support legislation to exempt food and medical sales from unilateral sanctions as soon as possible."
First, we commend Donohue for (at least) having correctly lobbied Congress to change the codified policy, as opposed to asking the Clinton Administration (at the time) to circumvent the law.
(A lesson the Council of the Americas hasn't learned.)
Donohue got his way and Congress authorized the sale of food, medicine and medical products to Cuba.
Since then, over 250 privately-owned U.S. companies have sold over $4 billion in mostly food-products to Cuba.
- So, in over a decade, how many Cuban companies have purchased these U.S. products?
One -- Castro's import monopoly, Alimport.
- How many "independent companies" or "private entrepreneurs" purchased these U.S. products (Note: such purchases are not prohibited by sanctions)?
- What did these sales do for the so-called Cuban "private sector"?
Because Cuban law only permits Castro's monopolies to engage in foreign trade.
That's not called trade -- it's called mercantilism.
at 8:47 AM Tuesday, May 20, 2014
- ► 2016 (651)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/18 - 05/25
- Over 60 Ladies in White Arrested to Impede Meeting...
- Quote of the Day: On the MININT
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Castro Edition
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: No Time to Ease Up o...
- Antunez Sends Message to Council of the Americas
- Tweet of the Day: State Department on #14ymedio
- Ros-Lehtinen: Hold Cuba Accountable for Illegal Ar...
- Rubio's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba
- The Impunity of 21st Century Tyrants
- Cuba's Christian Liberation Movement Rejects Counc...
- Rubio Condems Cuba's Censorship of Yoani's News Si...
- The Venezuelan Nightmare
- Graffitti in Havana: #PorOtraCuba #ForAnotherCuba
- What the U.S. Chamber Won't Tell You About Cuba
- Cuba's Ladies in White Reject Council of the Ameri...
- What a Rockefeller Coincidence
- Young Cuban-Americans Remain Committed to a Free C...
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Approves Venezu...
- Cuban Dissidents Reject Council of the Americas' P...
- A Lesson From U.S. Chamber President Tom Donohue's...
- A False Version of Independent Entrepreneurs and C...
- Here We Go Again: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Edition...
- The Council of the Americas' Derelict Cuba Letter
- Quote of the Week: Cuba Sanctions Are Bilateral Is...
- Funny (Yet Sadly True) Tweets of the Week
- ▼ 05/18 - 05/25 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)