Last night, Alex Mooney won the Republican nomination for the 2nd Congressional District (CD) of West Virginia.
Mooney is Cuban-American and a strong supporter of sanctions against the Castro regime.
The 2nd CD of West Virginia is a Republican-leaning district. It is currently held by U.S. Rep. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), who is heavily favored to win the open U.S. Senate seat.
Thus, Mooney is likely to win in November.
As such, it will make him the fifth Cuban-American Member of the U.S. House of Representatives.
The current four Cuban-American Members of the House are U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (FL), U.S. Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (FL), U.S. Rep. Albio Sires (NJ) and U.S. Rep. Joe Garcia (FL).
Also, there are three Cuban-American Senators -- U.S. Senator Bob Menendez (NJ), U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (FL) and U.S. Senator Ted Cruz (TX).
All of whom support sanctions towards the Castro regime.
Almost forgot, Mooney is 42-years old. So we're still awaiting some fact-based evidence on the "generational change" theory.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/11 - 05/18
- Cuban Democracy Leader's Remarks at Johns Hopkins ...
- MH Editorial Board: Tighten the Screws on Venezuel...
- Taking China's (Cuba's) Statistics at Face Value
- Heeding Foreign Businessmen's Advice: Reasons Not ...
- Quote of the Day: Dictators Should Die in Jail
- Maduro Confidant Represses in Caracas, Does Busine...
- Godspeed Yoani: On 14ymedio
- Pope Francis Meets With Family of Deceased Cuban D...
- Tweet of the Day: Where Are the Cuba-in-Venezuela ...
- Russia, Cuba Deepen Intelligence-Sharing Links
- #KeepCuba on the Terrorism List
- Jacobson "Confused" About Venezuela Sanctions
- A Cause We've Inherited: Cuban-American Millennial...
- A Likely 5th Cuban-American House Member
- New Arrest in $240 Million Medicare Fraud Involvin...
- Havana: The Last Communist City
- Confirmation Hearing: Rubio Raises Mistreatment of...
- Cuba's "New" Foreign Investment Law Violates Inter...
- As Predicted, Travel Income is Indispensable For C...
- Does D.C. Stand for "Donate to Castro"?
- The "Dialogue" in Venezuela Is a Fraud
- On Mother's Day, Dozens of Ladies in White Arreste...
- Debate: U.S. Policy Toward Cuba (in Spanish)
- Shocking: Despite Raul's "Reforms," Chronic Shorta...
- Tweet of the Week: Every 24 Hours a Woman is Beate...
- Urgent Action: 243 Venezuelan Protesters Detained,...
- ▼ 05/11 - 05/18 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)