Excerpt from today's statement by Cuba's Christian Liberation Movement, founded by deceased democracy leader Oswaldo Paya, on the Council of the America's open letter to President Obama lobbying him to bypass Congress in easing travel and financial sanctions towards Cuba.
"There seems to be confusion. It's illusory and unreal to think the so-called 'cuenta-propistas' ('self-employed' licensees) form part of a 'broad spectrum of civil society.' The laws enacted in our country do not recognize rights, nor economic freedoms, that guarantee the free exercise of a market economy. In Cuba, the totalitarian regime has made some concessions within an environment and legal order that is under the absolute control of the government. To support and applaud this logic of no-rights is an act of complicity that infringes, precisely, against the potential birth of a real 'civil society.'"
at 10:24 AM Thursday, May 22, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/18 - 05/25
- Over 60 Ladies in White Arrested to Impede Meeting...
- Quote of the Day: On the MININT
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Castro Edition
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: No Time to Ease Up o...
- Antunez Sends Message to Council of the Americas
- Tweet of the Day: State Department on #14ymedio
- Ros-Lehtinen: Hold Cuba Accountable for Illegal Ar...
- Rubio's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba
- The Impunity of 21st Century Tyrants
- Cuba's Christian Liberation Movement Rejects Counc...
- Rubio Condems Cuba's Censorship of Yoani's News Si...
- The Venezuelan Nightmare
- Graffitti in Havana: #PorOtraCuba #ForAnotherCuba
- What the U.S. Chamber Won't Tell You About Cuba
- Cuba's Ladies in White Reject Council of the Ameri...
- What a Rockefeller Coincidence
- Young Cuban-Americans Remain Committed to a Free C...
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Approves Venezu...
- Cuban Dissidents Reject Council of the Americas' P...
- A Lesson From U.S. Chamber President Tom Donohue's...
- A False Version of Independent Entrepreneurs and C...
- Here We Go Again: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Edition...
- The Council of the Americas' Derelict Cuba Letter
- Quote of the Week: Cuba Sanctions Are Bilateral Is...
- Funny (Yet Sadly True) Tweets of the Week
- ▼ 05/18 - 05/25 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)