Below is a statement from Berta Soler, leader of The Ladies in White, a democracy group composed of the mothers, wives, daughters, sisters and other relatives of Cuban political prisoners.
The Ladies in White are recipients of the Sakharov Prize for Freedom of Thought.
“If the U.S. government lifted restrictions or softens them, it will give oxygen to the Cuban government to strengthen its repressive machinery against the people of Cuba and human rights activists.
Giving oxygen to the Cuban government would mean that the U.S. is turning its back on the Cuban people. This country is plunged into hunger and need because of a totalitarian government. An improvement of bilateral relations or authorization of trade between the U.S. and Cuba will benefit the Cuban government, not the Cuban people. Self-employed people would not benefit either, because in Cuba there is a state monopoly.
With regard to the embargo, the position of the Ladies in White is that it should be strengthened. No oxygen to the Cuban government, no diplomatic overtures, because this will not benefit the people of Cuba. When there was a socialist bloc and the Soviet Union, rather than evolving we regressed. What the Cuban government wants is to buy time to stay in power.”
Translation courtesy of InterAmerican Security Watch.
at 5:17 PM Tuesday, May 20, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/18 - 05/25
- Over 60 Ladies in White Arrested to Impede Meeting...
- Quote of the Day: On the MININT
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Castro Edition
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: No Time to Ease Up o...
- Antunez Sends Message to Council of the Americas
- Tweet of the Day: State Department on #14ymedio
- Ros-Lehtinen: Hold Cuba Accountable for Illegal Ar...
- Rubio's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba
- The Impunity of 21st Century Tyrants
- Cuba's Christian Liberation Movement Rejects Counc...
- Rubio Condems Cuba's Censorship of Yoani's News Si...
- The Venezuelan Nightmare
- Graffitti in Havana: #PorOtraCuba #ForAnotherCuba
- What the U.S. Chamber Won't Tell You About Cuba
- Cuba's Ladies in White Reject Council of the Ameri...
- What a Rockefeller Coincidence
- Young Cuban-Americans Remain Committed to a Free C...
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Approves Venezu...
- Cuban Dissidents Reject Council of the Americas' P...
- A Lesson From U.S. Chamber President Tom Donohue's...
- A False Version of Independent Entrepreneurs and C...
- Here We Go Again: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Edition...
- The Council of the Americas' Derelict Cuba Letter
- Quote of the Week: Cuba Sanctions Are Bilateral Is...
- Funny (Yet Sadly True) Tweets of the Week
- ▼ 05/18 - 05/25 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)