It was an inspirational day for democracy throughout the world this Sunday.
In Venezuela, the wives of two Mayors unjustly imprisoned by Nicolas Maduro for their opposition to his government, won resounding victories to replace their husbands. Rosa de Scarano won 87.7% of the vote in the municipality of San Diego, and Patricia de Ceballos won 73.7% of the vote in San Cristobal. Both faced Maduro puppets.
In Colombia, former Finance Minister Oscar Ivan Zuluaga won the first-round of Colombia's presidential election Sunday with 29 percent of the vote. Incumbent President Juan Manuel Santos came in second with 26 percent. Both will head to a runoff on June 15th. Many Colombians remain distrustful of Santos' negotiations with the narco-terrorist group, FARC, in Cuba, and his deferential approach in dealing with Venezuela.
In Ukraine, pro-European businessman Petro O. Poroshenko was elected President with 56% of the vote. Meanwhile, Vitali Klitschko, the famous boxer who led led the street protests that deposed the Yanukovych regime, was elected as Mayor of Kiev. The election took place despite threats by pro-Russia separatists to prevent citizens from casting their ballots. Voters were defiant and turnout was strong.
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/25 - 06/01
- Obama Should Stick to Principled Cuba Policy
- Castro's Stalinist Law
- Enrique Krauze on Cuba, Castro & Gabo
- U.S. Chamber is Missing a Huge Opportunity
- U.S. Chamber CEO Meets Cuba's Only CEO
- From Cuba: An Overwhelming Response Against Liftin...
- Castro and Maduro (Also) Share U.S. Congressional ...
- Mexican Companies Shun Investing in Cuba
- Yoani Stumbles Upon an Important Contradiction
- Tweet of the Day: What Private Enterprise?
- Russia's Defiance, Europe's Shame & Cuba's Scam
- Quote of the Day: Human Rights are National Securi...
- House Passes Sanctions Against Venezuelan Official...
- Chairman Menendez's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba...
- Quote of the Day: Biden on Cuba
- Castro's Men in Caracas
- Edward Snowden Admits He Was Trying to Reach Cuba
- Like Cuban-American Barbarians at the Gate
- The Priority is Freedom, Not Capital
- Say No to Castro's Oligarchs
- On This Memorial Day
- Ten Reasons Why Obama Shouldn't Ease Cuba Sanction...
- Democracy Rang Loudly on Sunday
- From Inside Cuba's Burning Fire
- ▼ 05/25 - 06/01 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)