In an interview published on Perfil.com, Uruguayan author Eduardo Galeano reveals that he considers his 1971 book, “The Open Veins of Latin America: Five Centuries of the Pillage of a Continent,” so bad that "he wouldn’t be capable of reading it again.”
Galeano's “The Open Veins of Latin America” is a favorite among the region's radicals and anti-U.S. agitators. Its thesis is that all of Latin America's modern-day problems are due to U.S. "exploitation."
“That traditional leftist-style prose is awful," Galeano repents today.
He also admitted that he wrote it "without properly knowing enough about economics and politics."
Galeano's comments came at the II Bienal in Brazil, an international book fair held in Brasilia.
At the 5th Summit of the Americas in 2009, Venezuela's Hugo Chavez orchestrated a highly-publicized encounter, where he famously cornered U.S. President Barack Obama and handed him a copy of "The Open Veins of Latin America."
“The Open Veins of Latin America” has also been a favorite of U.S. college professors and -- thus -- formed the thinking of Latin Americanists in media, academia and government for decades.
Will Galeano's stunning confession make them pause?
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/04 - 05/11
- Will Tehran be Charlie Crist's October Surprise?
- Outrageous: U.S. Company Sells Helicopters to Vene...
- Tweets of the Day: Cuba and Summit of the Americas...
- Bipartisan Senators v. Obama on Venezuela Sanction...
- The Plight of Alan Gross
- Quote of the Day: Europe's Policy Toward Putin (Ca...
- Recommendation: Reveal Intel on Cuba's Role in Ven...
- Who's Lying About Venezuela Sanctions?
- AIG Fined for Cuba Sanctions Violations
- Riddle Me This: On Cuban-American Politics
- Tweet of the Day: Three Newspapers, Only One Edito...
- Independent Cuban NGO's Excluded From LGBT Confere...
- Cuba's Regime Can't Be Trusted on Terrorism
- Another Travel Company Fined for Cuba Sanctions Vi...
- Quote of the Day: FARC Attacks Continue
- Venezuela: Unarmed Protestors Beaten, Shot
- Dictators Need No Excuses to Crack Down on Dissent...
- Cuba: Average Monthly Political Arrests Double in ...
- Memo to Sen. Bob Graham: Cuba's Oil Ambitions on (...
- Quote of the Week: Ileana Responds to Maduro
- Cuba Vows Support for a Nuclear Iran
- Eduardo Galeano Repents, Will His Adherents Follow...
- Tweet of the Day: #PressFreedomDay
- On #PressFreedomDay: Letter to Raul Castro
- ▼ 05/04 - 05/11 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)