Read the following article very carefully.
It sounds eerily similar to the preview of next week's U.S. Chamber of Commerce trip to Cuba.
Except this article is from July 17, 1999.
Haven't Cuba "experts" assured us that the "small private sector" and "reform process" are unprecedented changes resulting from Obama's "extended hand" policy?
Yet, they were using the same talking points in 1999.
From The Chicago Tribune:
Chamber Of Commerce Leader Sees Opportunities In Cuba
The head of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce said Friday after a visit to Cuba that the emergence of a small private sector on the island offers "a small but hopeful opening" that the chamber wants to help develop.
Thomas J. Donohue, chamber president and chief executive officer, said at a news conference and in a written statement that while there is no evidence of a change in Cuba's communist ideology, it is significant that certain entrepreneurial activities are now permitted as part of a reform process.
"In this small way, the process of change in Cuba has begun and we ought to seize the opportunity to spur it on."
He said the chamber will work with Cubans over the next few weeks to flesh out the details on building relationships with independent companies and public corporations.
Donohue's three-day visit was the first by a chamber of commerce president to Cuba since the 1959 communist revolution. He spent six hours with President Fidel Castro and also met with other top government officials along with dissidents and church leaders.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/18 - 05/25
- Over 60 Ladies in White Arrested to Impede Meeting...
- Quote of the Day: On the MININT
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Castro Edition
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: No Time to Ease Up o...
- Antunez Sends Message to Council of the Americas
- Tweet of the Day: State Department on #14ymedio
- Ros-Lehtinen: Hold Cuba Accountable for Illegal Ar...
- Rubio's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba
- The Impunity of 21st Century Tyrants
- Cuba's Christian Liberation Movement Rejects Counc...
- Rubio Condems Cuba's Censorship of Yoani's News Si...
- The Venezuelan Nightmare
- Graffitti in Havana: #PorOtraCuba #ForAnotherCuba
- What the U.S. Chamber Won't Tell You About Cuba
- Cuba's Ladies in White Reject Council of the Ameri...
- What a Rockefeller Coincidence
- Young Cuban-Americans Remain Committed to a Free C...
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Approves Venezu...
- Cuban Dissidents Reject Council of the Americas' P...
- A Lesson From U.S. Chamber President Tom Donohue's...
- A False Version of Independent Entrepreneurs and C...
- Here We Go Again: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Edition...
- The Council of the Americas' Derelict Cuba Letter
- Quote of the Week: Cuba Sanctions Are Bilateral Is...
- Funny (Yet Sadly True) Tweets of the Week
- ▼ 05/18 - 05/25 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)