From El Universal:
Jacobson says she got confused about Venezuela in US Senate
Despite Roberta Jacobson's confusion, the US government insists in awaiting the outcome of the talks launched last month by the Venezuelan government and the opposition on the problems facing Venezuela and the political conflict affecting the country
United States Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs Roberta Jacobson said on Wednesday that no member of the opposition coalition Mesa de la Unidad Democratica (MUD) taking part in negotiations with the government of Nicolás Maduro has asked her to waive sanctions on Venezuelan officials accused of human rights violations.
Jacobson told reporters that she was mistaken when she said last week -before a Senate panel- that Washington viewed as premature imposing sanctions on Venezuelan officials, because members of the opposition alliance had requested so, AP reported.
"I was wrong in the hearing. Some people have said no (to sanctions), but they are people outside the dialogue,'' Jacobson told journalists at the Embassy of Uruguay, after signing a memorandum of understanding to promote social, ethnic and racial equality with the South American nation.
"I did wrong. There was confusion during the hearing, when I remembered wrong,'' she added.
- ► 2016 (651)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/11 - 05/18
- Cuban Democracy Leader's Remarks at Johns Hopkins ...
- MH Editorial Board: Tighten the Screws on Venezuel...
- Taking China's (Cuba's) Statistics at Face Value
- Heeding Foreign Businessmen's Advice: Reasons Not ...
- Quote of the Day: Dictators Should Die in Jail
- Maduro Confidant Represses in Caracas, Does Busine...
- Godspeed Yoani: On 14ymedio
- Pope Francis Meets With Family of Deceased Cuban D...
- Tweet of the Day: Where Are the Cuba-in-Venezuela ...
- Russia, Cuba Deepen Intelligence-Sharing Links
- #KeepCuba on the Terrorism List
- Jacobson "Confused" About Venezuela Sanctions
- A Cause We've Inherited: Cuban-American Millennial...
- A Likely 5th Cuban-American House Member
- New Arrest in $240 Million Medicare Fraud Involvin...
- Havana: The Last Communist City
- Confirmation Hearing: Rubio Raises Mistreatment of...
- Cuba's "New" Foreign Investment Law Violates Inter...
- As Predicted, Travel Income is Indispensable For C...
- Does D.C. Stand for "Donate to Castro"?
- The "Dialogue" in Venezuela Is a Fraud
- On Mother's Day, Dozens of Ladies in White Arreste...
- Debate: U.S. Policy Toward Cuba (in Spanish)
- Shocking: Despite Raul's "Reforms," Chronic Shorta...
- Tweet of the Week: Every 24 Hours a Woman is Beate...
- Urgent Action: 243 Venezuelan Protesters Detained,...
- ▼ 05/11 - 05/18 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)