From Monitor Global Outlook:
More than 50 Mexican business leaders paid an official visit to Cuba on May 26-27 to look at new business opportunities.
Soon after Cuba passed a law seeking to increase foreign investment, Mexico’s promotion agency traveled to Havana, where it opened an office and signed an agreement to stimulate economic development.
More than 50 representatives from Mexico’s business community, including large transnationals such as Nestlé México, Unilever, and Omnilife, were part of the official visit on May 26-27. According to Rodolfo Balmaceda, who was invited to Cuba as commercial director for the industrial park developer Vesta, opportunities abound for exports to Cuba, but direct investment on the island by Mexican companies is not likely in the short term.
“There are very clear opportunities for exporting to Cuba, especially in the sectors of food, pharmaceuticals, and auto parts,” Mr. Balmaceda tells Monitor Global Outlook. “I don’t see at this moment much opportunity for Mexico to go and build hotels, industrial parks. This is very incipient, but the route it’s taking is to open opportunities for business with Cuba.”
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/25 - 06/01
- Obama Should Stick to Principled Cuba Policy
- Castro's Stalinist Law
- Enrique Krauze on Cuba, Castro & Gabo
- U.S. Chamber is Missing a Huge Opportunity
- U.S. Chamber CEO Meets Cuba's Only CEO
- From Cuba: An Overwhelming Response Against Liftin...
- Castro and Maduro (Also) Share U.S. Congressional ...
- Mexican Companies Shun Investing in Cuba
- Yoani Stumbles Upon an Important Contradiction
- Tweet of the Day: What Private Enterprise?
- Russia's Defiance, Europe's Shame & Cuba's Scam
- Quote of the Day: Human Rights are National Securi...
- House Passes Sanctions Against Venezuelan Official...
- Chairman Menendez's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba...
- Quote of the Day: Biden on Cuba
- Castro's Men in Caracas
- Edward Snowden Admits He Was Trying to Reach Cuba
- Like Cuban-American Barbarians at the Gate
- The Priority is Freedom, Not Capital
- Say No to Castro's Oligarchs
- On This Memorial Day
- Ten Reasons Why Obama Shouldn't Ease Cuba Sanction...
- Democracy Rang Loudly on Sunday
- From Inside Cuba's Burning Fire
- ▼ 05/25 - 06/01 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)