There are only two majority Cuban-American Congressional Districts in the United States -- Florida 27, represented by U.S. Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), and Florida 25, represented by U.S. Representative Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL).
(In case you are wondering, Florida 26, represented by U.S. Rep. Joe Garcia (D-FL), is not a majority Cuban-American Congressional District.)
U.S. Reps. Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart are among the strongest supporters of maintaining and strengthening sanctions towards Cuba's Castro dictatorship.
Critics of U.S. Reps. Ros-Lehtinen and Diaz-Balart argue that they are "out of touch" and too "single-issue focused" on Cuba.
For example, The Tampa Bay Times' [unprofessional and disrespectful] Editorial Board wrote about them recently, "the vitriolic responses [...] by two Cuban-American members of Congress from Miami are predictable, outdated and out of touch with generational and demographic changes."
Yet, last Friday, May 2nd, was the filing deadline for candidates for the U.S. Congress in Florida and their vitriolic foes could not find any viable opponents to run against them.
Because they would be too tough to beat.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/04 - 05/11
- Will Tehran be Charlie Crist's October Surprise?
- Outrageous: U.S. Company Sells Helicopters to Vene...
- Tweets of the Day: Cuba and Summit of the Americas...
- Bipartisan Senators v. Obama on Venezuela Sanction...
- The Plight of Alan Gross
- Quote of the Day: Europe's Policy Toward Putin (Ca...
- Recommendation: Reveal Intel on Cuba's Role in Ven...
- Who's Lying About Venezuela Sanctions?
- AIG Fined for Cuba Sanctions Violations
- Riddle Me This: On Cuban-American Politics
- Tweet of the Day: Three Newspapers, Only One Edito...
- Independent Cuban NGO's Excluded From LGBT Confere...
- Cuba's Regime Can't Be Trusted on Terrorism
- Another Travel Company Fined for Cuba Sanctions Vi...
- Quote of the Day: FARC Attacks Continue
- Venezuela: Unarmed Protestors Beaten, Shot
- Dictators Need No Excuses to Crack Down on Dissent...
- Cuba: Average Monthly Political Arrests Double in ...
- Memo to Sen. Bob Graham: Cuba's Oil Ambitions on (...
- Quote of the Week: Ileana Responds to Maduro
- Cuba Vows Support for a Nuclear Iran
- Eduardo Galeano Repents, Will His Adherents Follow...
- Tweet of the Day: #PressFreedomDay
- On #PressFreedomDay: Letter to Raul Castro
- ▼ 05/04 - 05/11 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)