U.N. Refuses to Hold Cuba Accountable for Illegally Smuggling Arms to North Korea; U.S. Should Work to Sanction Violators, Says Ros-Lehtinen
WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-FL), Chairman of the Middle East and North Africa Subcommittee, made the following statement regarding reports that members of the United Nations are preparing to submit an implementation assistance notice to Cuba for its role in the trafficking of military equipment to North Korea. Statement by Ros-Lehtinen:
“Weak does not begin to describe the laughable ‘sanction’ that news reports have indicated the U.N. is planning on proposing for Cuba’s role in trafficking military equipment to North Korea. Let's not forget that this is the largest intercepted shipment of weapons to North Korea since U.N. Security Council sanctions were implemented in 2006. This is yet another example of the Castro regime gaming the international community for its own political agenda. With this feckless proposal, the U.N. has again shown that it is becoming little more than a club for dictators who, if they violate the rules, face little to no sanction. Instead of a slap on the wrist, the Obama administration should submit a list of Cuban officials and enterprises involved in this illegal operation to be sanctioned by the United Nations. We must show we will not turn a blind eye to conduct that only serves to assist those who would do us harm. Otherwise, the U.S. should further sanction these entities ourselves.”
at 4:15 PM Thursday, May 22, 2014
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/18 - 05/25
- Over 60 Ladies in White Arrested to Impede Meeting...
- Quote of the Day: On the MININT
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Castro Edition
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: No Time to Ease Up o...
- Antunez Sends Message to Council of the Americas
- Tweet of the Day: State Department on #14ymedio
- Ros-Lehtinen: Hold Cuba Accountable for Illegal Ar...
- Rubio's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba
- The Impunity of 21st Century Tyrants
- Cuba's Christian Liberation Movement Rejects Counc...
- Rubio Condems Cuba's Censorship of Yoani's News Si...
- The Venezuelan Nightmare
- Graffitti in Havana: #PorOtraCuba #ForAnotherCuba
- What the U.S. Chamber Won't Tell You About Cuba
- Cuba's Ladies in White Reject Council of the Ameri...
- What a Rockefeller Coincidence
- Young Cuban-Americans Remain Committed to a Free C...
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Approves Venezu...
- Cuban Dissidents Reject Council of the Americas' P...
- A Lesson From U.S. Chamber President Tom Donohue's...
- A False Version of Independent Entrepreneurs and C...
- Here We Go Again: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Edition...
- The Council of the Americas' Derelict Cuba Letter
- Quote of the Week: Cuba Sanctions Are Bilateral Is...
- Funny (Yet Sadly True) Tweets of the Week
- ▼ 05/18 - 05/25 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)