US Senate panel approves Venezuela sanctions
A US Senate committee on Tuesday green-lighted new sanctions on Venezuelan officials responsible for violent crackdowns against anti-government student protesters that have left 42 people dead.
The Senate Foreign Relations Committee voted 13-2 in favor of the sanctions draft, which now goes to the Senate floor and is on track for possible passage by Congress.
The bill would allow President Barack Obama to freeze assets and ban US visits by any current or former Venezuelan government official responsible for "directing significant acts of violence or serious human rights abuses against persons associated with the anti-government protests in Venezuela."
It also allows the White House to crack down on those who ordered the arrest or prosecution of demonstrators, or who are deemed as having provided assistance including financial support for such acts.
The bill would commit $15 million to help non-governmental organizations, including pro-democracy groups as well was independent media in Venezuela.
at 2:10 PM Tuesday, May 20, 2014
- ► 2016 (644)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/18 - 05/25
- Over 60 Ladies in White Arrested to Impede Meeting...
- Quote of the Day: On the MININT
- Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous: Castro Edition
- Miami Herald Editorial Board: No Time to Ease Up o...
- Antunez Sends Message to Council of the Americas
- Tweet of the Day: State Department on #14ymedio
- Ros-Lehtinen: Hold Cuba Accountable for Illegal Ar...
- Rubio's Letter to U.S. Chamber on Cuba
- The Impunity of 21st Century Tyrants
- Cuba's Christian Liberation Movement Rejects Counc...
- Rubio Condems Cuba's Censorship of Yoani's News Si...
- The Venezuelan Nightmare
- Graffitti in Havana: #PorOtraCuba #ForAnotherCuba
- What the U.S. Chamber Won't Tell You About Cuba
- Cuba's Ladies in White Reject Council of the Ameri...
- What a Rockefeller Coincidence
- Young Cuban-Americans Remain Committed to a Free C...
- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Approves Venezu...
- Cuban Dissidents Reject Council of the Americas' P...
- A Lesson From U.S. Chamber President Tom Donohue's...
- A False Version of Independent Entrepreneurs and C...
- Here We Go Again: U.S. Chamber of Commerce Edition...
- The Council of the Americas' Derelict Cuba Letter
- Quote of the Week: Cuba Sanctions Are Bilateral Is...
- Funny (Yet Sadly True) Tweets of the Week
- ▼ 05/18 - 05/25 (25)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)