From Amnesty International:
Venezuela: Protesters Detained, at Risk of Ill Treatment
Security forces in Caracas detained 243 people involved in ongoing anti-government demonstrations between 7 and 8 May. The whereabouts of those who have not yet been released remain unknown. They are at risk of torture or other ill-treatment.
Between 7 and 8 May security forces in the Chacao and Baruta Municipalities of Caracas, the capital, detained 243 people in four makeshift camps built as part of anti-government demonstrations that have been ongoing throughout the country since February 2014. Some of these 243 people have already been released, including some minors.
The relatives of those detained have expressed concern at the reports of excessive use of force by security forces in their operation to dismantle the four makeshift camps built by protesters. The relatives have also stated they have been unable to establish the exact whereabouts of their family members following the detention.
In the context of the ongoing protests in Venezuela, Amnesty International has received dozens of complaints about torture and other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment of detainees by members of the security forces, at the time of detention, during transfer and at detention centres. The detainees’ safety and right to due process are at grave risk.
- ► 2016 (650)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/11 - 05/18
- Cuban Democracy Leader's Remarks at Johns Hopkins ...
- MH Editorial Board: Tighten the Screws on Venezuel...
- Taking China's (Cuba's) Statistics at Face Value
- Heeding Foreign Businessmen's Advice: Reasons Not ...
- Quote of the Day: Dictators Should Die in Jail
- Maduro Confidant Represses in Caracas, Does Busine...
- Godspeed Yoani: On 14ymedio
- Pope Francis Meets With Family of Deceased Cuban D...
- Tweet of the Day: Where Are the Cuba-in-Venezuela ...
- Russia, Cuba Deepen Intelligence-Sharing Links
- #KeepCuba on the Terrorism List
- Jacobson "Confused" About Venezuela Sanctions
- A Cause We've Inherited: Cuban-American Millennial...
- A Likely 5th Cuban-American House Member
- New Arrest in $240 Million Medicare Fraud Involvin...
- Havana: The Last Communist City
- Confirmation Hearing: Rubio Raises Mistreatment of...
- Cuba's "New" Foreign Investment Law Violates Inter...
- As Predicted, Travel Income is Indispensable For C...
- Does D.C. Stand for "Donate to Castro"?
- The "Dialogue" in Venezuela Is a Fraud
- On Mother's Day, Dozens of Ladies in White Arreste...
- Debate: U.S. Policy Toward Cuba (in Spanish)
- Shocking: Despite Raul's "Reforms," Chronic Shorta...
- Tweet of the Week: Every 24 Hours a Woman is Beate...
- Urgent Action: 243 Venezuelan Protesters Detained,...
- ▼ 05/11 - 05/18 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)