Meanwhile, Venezuela's "boligarchs" are fueling their private jets for their weekly, weekend shopping spree in Dadeland and Aventura.
From El Universal:
MUD denies having requested the US not to impose sanctions on Venezuela
Venezuelan opposition umbrella group, Mesa de la Unidad Democratica (MUD), denied the remarks issued on Thursday by Roberta Jacobson, the U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs, who told the U.S. Senate Committee on Foreign Relations that members of the opposition coalition had requested the White House not to impose sanctions on Venezuelan officials charged with alleged violations of human rights.
Based on information disclosed by AP, Jacobson said that some members of the Venezuelan opposition had recommended not to impose sanctions yet. However, Jacobson would not single out such opposition leaders, while she conceded that some sectors within the opposition do endorse sanctions.
In a statement, the MUD replied to Jacobson's comments and called for an explanation. Dissenters claimed that Jacobson's statement "may lead to undesired misunderstandings. MUD's declarations are public and widely known. No MUD spokesperson has requested to any U.S. official what has been reported by the media today. If any organization or individual from civil society has done it, it is under its or his own responsibility, and they must deal with it."
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
05/04 - 05/11
- Will Tehran be Charlie Crist's October Surprise?
- Outrageous: U.S. Company Sells Helicopters to Vene...
- Tweets of the Day: Cuba and Summit of the Americas...
- Bipartisan Senators v. Obama on Venezuela Sanction...
- The Plight of Alan Gross
- Quote of the Day: Europe's Policy Toward Putin (Ca...
- Recommendation: Reveal Intel on Cuba's Role in Ven...
- Who's Lying About Venezuela Sanctions?
- AIG Fined for Cuba Sanctions Violations
- Riddle Me This: On Cuban-American Politics
- Tweet of the Day: Three Newspapers, Only One Edito...
- Independent Cuban NGO's Excluded From LGBT Confere...
- Cuba's Regime Can't Be Trusted on Terrorism
- Another Travel Company Fined for Cuba Sanctions Vi...
- Quote of the Day: FARC Attacks Continue
- Venezuela: Unarmed Protestors Beaten, Shot
- Dictators Need No Excuses to Crack Down on Dissent...
- Cuba: Average Monthly Political Arrests Double in ...
- Memo to Sen. Bob Graham: Cuba's Oil Ambitions on (...
- Quote of the Week: Ileana Responds to Maduro
- Cuba Vows Support for a Nuclear Iran
- Eduardo Galeano Repents, Will His Adherents Follow...
- Tweet of the Day: #PressFreedomDay
- On #PressFreedomDay: Letter to Raul Castro
- ▼ 05/04 - 05/11 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)