Hadn't the media previously reported that Raul's "reforms" had dealt with this issue?
Cuba Punishes 6 Baseball Players for Exit Attempts
Six more baseball players have been ruled out of the current national squad for trying to defect, Cuban authorities said Wednesday.
Government news website Cubadebate listed the players as Villa Clara pitchers Diosdani Castillo and Yasmani Hernandez Romero; infielders Gelkis Jimenez and Adriel Labrada; pitcher Carlos Manuel Portuondo of Santiago, and Isle of Youth outfielder Alejandro Jaime Ortiz.
Cubadebate said they were implicated in "attempts to leave the country illegally." It did not give details or say whether any were successful.
Cubadebate also named Yasmani Tomas, a hard-hitting outfielder formerly with Havana ball club Industriales whose departure was acknowledged by officials on Friday.
Cuban ballplayers who defect often have their sights set on Major League Baseball, where many have signed multimillion-dollar contracts.
Last year Cuba began letting players compete in overseas leagues while still in their prime for the first time in decades. Some have signed lucrative deals in Japan.
The players named by Cubadebate will not figure in the squad selected to face a U.S. collegian team in five games next month in Cuba.
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
06/22 - 06/29
- Red Bull Fined for Cuba Sanctions Violations
- Amnesty International: Young Cuban Prisoners of Co...
- Cuba Punishes 6 Baseball Players for Exit Attempts...
- In Week-Long Series, NPR Oblivious to Human Rights...
- An Apology for Cuba's Military Dictatorship
- Tweet of the Day: Castro Supports Assad at U.N.
- The "Extreme Cruelty" of the Castro Regime
- Question for U.S. Chamber: On Ex-Im Bank and Cuba
- NPR Contradicts Hillary Clinton and Cuba Sanctions...
- Members of Congress Question State About Visas for...
- North Korea Up to No Good in Venezuela
- Boston Globe: Lift the Embargo -- but Freedom Firs...
- Paris Club: Cuba Remains 2nd Most Indebted Nation
- Quote of the Day: Cuba's Deceleration Intensifies
- How Cuba's State Security Welcomed a Free-Thinker ...
- Why Do Cuban (and Venezuelan) Human Rights Perpetr...
- In Their Own Words: Democracy Activists on Repress...
- Even Charlie Crist Recognizes FIU's Cuba Poll is a...
- Quote of the Day: Crist's Disgraceful Vision
- Why Would Obama Admin. License Travel for Cuban Ap...
- Tweet of the Day: Pregnant Democracy Activist Beat...
- How the Question on Cuba Sanctions Should be Asked...
- Amnesty International: Cuban Journalist Threatened...
- Odebrecht Accused of Slave Labor and Human Traffic...
- ▼ 06/22 - 06/29 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)