Early Wednesday morning, the Castro regime ransacked the home of Cuban democracy leader, Jorge Luis Garcia Perez "Antunez." He was arrested, along with his wife, Yris Perez Aguilera.
During his imprisonment, Antunez was the subject of violent interrogations and beatings. He was thrown against walls, strangled twice until passing-out and injected with unknown substances.
According to Antunez, the authorities arrested him for his support of U.S. sanctions towards Cuba.
Last week, he led a document, signed by over 830 democracy activists, opposing recent efforts to ease U.S. sanctions toward Cuba.
These activists have sent this message to U.S. policymakers at great personal risk.
In Cuba, it's easy (and even wins you favor) to state opposition to U.S. sanctions, but expressing support is punishable with up to 15 years in prison.
These are the men and women who are courageously challenging the regime on a daily basis.
They've suffered first-hand -- with their flesh and blood -- the consequences of decades of European and Canadian tourism, trade, investment and indifference.
Lifting U.S. sanctions would only multiply this, while unconditionally losing the only international leverage they have against Cuba's dictatorship.
at 8:19 PM Friday, June 13, 2014
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
06/08 - 06/15
- Cuban Democracy Leader Arrested, Beaten for Suppor...
- Chairman Menendez on Dissident Crackdown in Cuba a...
- Rubio: Castro Regime's Repression Cannot be Ignore...
- Note From the Pro-Cuba, Anti-Castro Lobby
- State Department Condemns Detention of Democracy A...
- Top Dissidents Remain Imprisoned After Violent Cra...
- Over 830 Cuban Democracy Activists Sign Letter Aga...
- Cuban Dissidents Suffer Violent Crackdown
- Protests in Washington, Beatings and Arrests in Ha...
- The Case of Odebrecht in Venezuela
- U.S. Chamber Seeks Leniency on Terrorist Financing...
- Cubans Don't Believe Castro's "Excuses"
- Cuban LGBT Activist Remains Imprisoned
- A Sister's Response and Cuban Democracy Activists
- From Within Cuba: Changing Views (in Favor) of San...
- At Least Katrina's Honest About Her Sources
- A Principled Euro-Politician
- A Closer Look at Hillary Clinton's Cuba Revelation...
- What Threat Do These Women Pose to Cuba's Dictator...
- Alan Gross' Sister: Why Would You Encourage Touris...
- Poll: Charlie Crist Has a Serious Cuban-American P...
- ▼ 06/08 - 06/15 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)