From The Washington Blade:
Cuban LGBT advocate arrested for ‘peaceful protest’
A Cuban LGBT rights advocate with HIV remains in jail more than two weeks after authorities reportedly arrested him because he criticized the country’s government.
Ignacio Estrada Cepero of the Cuban League Against AIDS told the Washington Blade during a telephone interview from Miami on June 6 that David Bustamante Rodríguez, 21, was “savagely beaten” and “arrested in a violent way” on May 26 after he staged what he described as a “peaceful protest” on the roof of his home near the city of Santa Clara.
Estrada said that Bustamante, who is a member of the Patriotic Union of Cuba and the United Anti-Totalitarian Forum that operate independently from the Cuban government, has been accused of “criticizing a figure who led Fidel Castro’s revolution” in 1959 and “criticizing the authorities.”
Estrada told the Blade that Bustamante suffered a broken rib and a fractured hand during his arrest.
He said the activist has also not been able to speak with his mother, Sandra Rodríguez de Bustamante.
Estrada further noted Rodríguez, with whom he said he speaks regularly, said her son has not received anti-retroviral drugs since his arrest.
“We are concerned that David is not receiving specialized medical attention,” said Estrada.
Rodríguez, who is a member of Damas de Blanco, or Ladies in White who have staged weekly protests against the Cuban government since a 2003 crackdown on dissidents, claims her son has been targeted because he is gay.
Estrada told the Blade that authorities earlier this year forced Bustamante to cut his hair.
He said police have also arrested and beat Rodríguez on several occasions. Estrada told the Blade that Bustamante’s mother has been on a hunger strike for two weeks to protest her son’s detention.
“Last Monday marked two weeks since David has been in the prison for criminals with HIV and AIDS in the city of Santa Clara,” said Estrada. “They have kept him without bringing formal charges.”
06/08 - 06/15
- Cuban Democracy Leader Arrested, Beaten for Suppor...
- Chairman Menendez on Dissident Crackdown in Cuba a...
- Rubio: Castro Regime's Repression Cannot be Ignore...
- Note From the Pro-Cuba, Anti-Castro Lobby
- State Department Condemns Detention of Democracy A...
- Top Dissidents Remain Imprisoned After Violent Cra...
- Over 830 Cuban Democracy Activists Sign Letter Aga...
- Cuban Dissidents Suffer Violent Crackdown
- Protests in Washington, Beatings and Arrests in Ha...
- The Case of Odebrecht in Venezuela
- U.S. Chamber Seeks Leniency on Terrorist Financing...
- Cubans Don't Believe Castro's "Excuses"
- Cuban LGBT Activist Remains Imprisoned
- A Sister's Response and Cuban Democracy Activists
- From Within Cuba: Changing Views (in Favor) of San...
- At Least Katrina's Honest About Her Sources
- A Principled Euro-Politician
- A Closer Look at Hillary Clinton's Cuba Revelation...
- What Threat Do These Women Pose to Cuba's Dictator...
- Alan Gross' Sister: Why Would You Encourage Touris...
- Poll: Charlie Crist Has a Serious Cuban-American P...
- ▼ 06/08 - 06/15 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1032)
- ► 2010 (1043)
- ► 2009 (933)