This gruesome event took place 21-years ago today.
Also, don't forget who was the Minister of Defense (MINFAR) -- General Raul Castro.
From The Miami Herald:
U.S. Rips Cuba's "Extreme Cruelty", Protests 3 Killings Near Base
Cuban marine patrols, determined to stop refugees from reaching the U.S. Naval Base at Guantanamo Bay, have repeatedly tossed grenades and shot at fleeing swimmers and recovered some bodies with gaff hooks, U.S. officials charged Tuesday.
At least three Cubans have been killed in the past month as Cuban patrol boats attacked swimmers within sight of U.S. Navy personnel at Guantanamo.
The killings are the latest sign that Cuba is resorting to violent means to stop a torrent of desperate people from fleeing the impoverished island.
"This is the most savage kind of behavior I've ever heard of," said Robert Gelbard, deputy assistant secretary of state for Latin America. The United States has no previous record of such activity in Cuba, he added, calling the practice "even worse than what happened at the Berlin Wall."
The Clinton administration filed a formal protest Monday with the government of President Fidel Castro, calling on Havana to "immediately cease these barbaric practices," said a State Department aide.
Courtesy of Notes From the Cuban Exile Quarter.
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
06/22 - 06/29
- Red Bull Fined for Cuba Sanctions Violations
- Amnesty International: Young Cuban Prisoners of Co...
- Cuba Punishes 6 Baseball Players for Exit Attempts...
- In Week-Long Series, NPR Oblivious to Human Rights...
- An Apology for Cuba's Military Dictatorship
- Tweet of the Day: Castro Supports Assad at U.N.
- The "Extreme Cruelty" of the Castro Regime
- Question for U.S. Chamber: On Ex-Im Bank and Cuba
- NPR Contradicts Hillary Clinton and Cuba Sanctions...
- Members of Congress Question State About Visas for...
- North Korea Up to No Good in Venezuela
- Boston Globe: Lift the Embargo -- but Freedom Firs...
- Paris Club: Cuba Remains 2nd Most Indebted Nation
- Quote of the Day: Cuba's Deceleration Intensifies
- How Cuba's State Security Welcomed a Free-Thinker ...
- Why Do Cuban (and Venezuelan) Human Rights Perpetr...
- In Their Own Words: Democracy Activists on Repress...
- Even Charlie Crist Recognizes FIU's Cuba Poll is a...
- Quote of the Day: Crist's Disgraceful Vision
- Why Would Obama Admin. License Travel for Cuban Ap...
- Tweet of the Day: Pregnant Democracy Activist Beat...
- How the Question on Cuba Sanctions Should be Asked...
- Amnesty International: Cuban Journalist Threatened...
- Odebrecht Accused of Slave Labor and Human Traffic...
- ▼ 06/22 - 06/29 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)