By The New York Post's Editorial Board:
It’s now been almost five years since Alan Gross, the US aid worker imprisoned in Cuba, last saw his elderly mother.
Now he’ll never see her again.
Evelyn Gross died this week of lung cancer at age 92, two months after persuading her son to end a nine-day hunger strike to protest his continued imprisonment.
Evelyn’s son is serving a 15-year term for a “crime against the state”: trying to help Cuba’s Jewish community connect to the Internet. During his mother’s illness, Gross repeatedly begged Cuban authorities to be allowed to visit her, to no avail.
Instead, the regime continues to link his freedom to that of Cuban spies serving long sentences in American prisons.
Defending his decision to trade five Taliban commanders for a US soldier accused of deserting his post, President Obama said America leaves no man behind.
If true, America especially owes Alan Gross, who’s rotting away in a foreign prison for service to America while in a hostile country.
Back in 2009, President Obama famously shook Raul Castro’s hand at an international summit. We now learn the President Obama has asked the left-wing government in Uruguay to help persuade Cuba to let Gross go and open up to political reform.
Maybe we should try demanding the release of our man in Havana — and let Cuba learn that holding hostage a US citizen serving his nation carries a high price.
at 10:48 AM Saturday, June 21, 2014
- ► 2016 (646)
- ► 2015 (1080)
06/15 - 06/22
- From The White House: On Mujica and Castro
- Cuba's Censors Slip
- MSNBC Questions FIU's Cuba Poll
- N.Y. Post: Let Cuba Know Holding U.S. Hostage Carr...
- State: Cuba Remains Major Child Sex, Forced Labor ...
- Cuba and Venezuela Reps. Clash With Dissidents at ...
- Cuba Crackdown
- Name This Lede: On Cuban-American Policy Attitudes...
- Tweet of the Day: Chairman Menendez Meets With You...
- Will the Media Correct its FIU Cuba Poll Stories?
- From The State Department: On Alan Gross
- Democracy Leaders v. Country Club Elites, Pt.2
- Our Condolences to the Gross Family
- FIU's Cuba Poll: Manipulations, Omissions and Cont...
- Quote of the Week: On Repression of Cuban Activist...
- Castro Losing Battle to Control the Internet
- New International Appeal to Free Cuban Rapper #ElC...
- Tweet(s) of the Day: Cuba Stifles Dissent at U.N.
- FIU's Fungible Cuba Poll
- Another Prominent Cuban Dissident: Lifting the Emb...
- U.N. to Hear Testimony of Foul Play in Oswaldo Pay...
- Is Cuba Headed Towards Another "Black Spring"?
- Is Hillary Clinton Using the Cuban Embargo as Her ...
- Cuban Democracy Leader Antunez Re-Arrested, to be ...
- Riddle Me This: If the Embargo is "Castro's Best F...
- On Cuba's Brave Democrats
- Castro Intensifies Support for Nuclear Iran
- Hillary Should Say "Cuba Si, Castro No"
- The Fate of Castro's Business Partners
- Asking Dictators For Permission
- ▼ 06/15 - 06/22 (30)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)