Rubio: Castro Regime's Repression Cannot be Ignored
U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) today issued the following statement regarding the latest wave of repression by the Castro regime:
“This administration has kept trying to loosen sanctions against the Castro dictatorship, even though all the regime in Havana keeps doing is repress and abuse innocent Cubans who express their desire for liberty and democracy.
The Castro regime’s repressive apparatus is in full swing as it spent this week beating and detaining dissidents without cause. Activists like ‘Antúnez,’ his wife Yris Pérez Aguilera, Berta Soler and her husband Angel Moya have been detained and harassed. Independent journalist Roberto de Jesús Guerra was violently assaulted and reportedly suffered a broken nose and torn ligaments.
The Castro regime’s repression cannot go ignored. The Obama Administration should reconsider any policy attempts that ultimately enrich and empower the regime to continue repressing innocent Cubans like this.
Let this latest wave of harassment and brutality by the Castro brothers serve as a reminder to those who call for more engagement as a way to bring change to Cuba. The only change that would bring is further entrenching the regime in power by giving them more money to carry out their violent repression of people’s fundamental rights and dignity.”
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
06/08 - 06/15
- Cuban Democracy Leader Arrested, Beaten for Suppor...
- Chairman Menendez on Dissident Crackdown in Cuba a...
- Rubio: Castro Regime's Repression Cannot be Ignore...
- Note From the Pro-Cuba, Anti-Castro Lobby
- State Department Condemns Detention of Democracy A...
- Top Dissidents Remain Imprisoned After Violent Cra...
- Over 830 Cuban Democracy Activists Sign Letter Aga...
- Cuban Dissidents Suffer Violent Crackdown
- Protests in Washington, Beatings and Arrests in Ha...
- The Case of Odebrecht in Venezuela
- U.S. Chamber Seeks Leniency on Terrorist Financing...
- Cubans Don't Believe Castro's "Excuses"
- Cuban LGBT Activist Remains Imprisoned
- A Sister's Response and Cuban Democracy Activists
- From Within Cuba: Changing Views (in Favor) of San...
- At Least Katrina's Honest About Her Sources
- A Principled Euro-Politician
- A Closer Look at Hillary Clinton's Cuba Revelation...
- What Threat Do These Women Pose to Cuba's Dictator...
- Alan Gross' Sister: Why Would You Encourage Touris...
- Poll: Charlie Crist Has a Serious Cuban-American P...
- ▼ 06/08 - 06/15 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)