From The Miami Herald:
Two top dissidents still held day after crackdown
Jorge Luis García Pérez and his wife Yris Pérez Aguilera were rousted from their beds during an early morning raid
Cuban police and State Security agents were still holding dissidents Jorge Luis García Pérez and his wife Thursday, one day after they raided their home to roust them out of bed and paint over anti-Castro graffiti scrawled on the front walls.
García, known as Antúnez, and his wife, Yris Pérez Aguilera, “were taken from their beds yesterday, without a chance to put on any decent clothes or comb their hair or anything,” said Donaida Pérez, the sister of Yris.
The raiders broke down the door, searched the house and for about the 10th time in the last few years painted over the anti-government graffiti that the couple paint on the front of their home in the town of Placetas, east of Havana, Pérez added.
Among the more outspoken of Cuba’s dissidents and leaders of the National Civic Resistance Front Orlando Zapata Tamayo, García and Pérez have been detained by police dozens of times, although usually for only a few hours.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
06/08 - 06/15
- Cuban Democracy Leader Arrested, Beaten for Suppor...
- Chairman Menendez on Dissident Crackdown in Cuba a...
- Rubio: Castro Regime's Repression Cannot be Ignore...
- Note From the Pro-Cuba, Anti-Castro Lobby
- State Department Condemns Detention of Democracy A...
- Top Dissidents Remain Imprisoned After Violent Cra...
- Over 830 Cuban Democracy Activists Sign Letter Aga...
- Cuban Dissidents Suffer Violent Crackdown
- Protests in Washington, Beatings and Arrests in Ha...
- The Case of Odebrecht in Venezuela
- U.S. Chamber Seeks Leniency on Terrorist Financing...
- Cubans Don't Believe Castro's "Excuses"
- Cuban LGBT Activist Remains Imprisoned
- A Sister's Response and Cuban Democracy Activists
- From Within Cuba: Changing Views (in Favor) of San...
- At Least Katrina's Honest About Her Sources
- A Principled Euro-Politician
- A Closer Look at Hillary Clinton's Cuba Revelation...
- What Threat Do These Women Pose to Cuba's Dictator...
- Alan Gross' Sister: Why Would You Encourage Touris...
- Poll: Charlie Crist Has a Serious Cuban-American P...
- ▼ 06/08 - 06/15 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)