In yesterday's The Miami Herald, Professor Guillermo Grenier, who led FIU's 2014 Cuba poll, admitted to manipulating the results.
"Grenier acknowledged his numbers reflect only those respondents who said they favored or opposed the embargo and did not include 'don’t know/no answer' replies. Including those numbers in the tally would change the percentages to 45-41 (from the reported 52-48) against the embargo — short of a majority and with 12 percent replying 'don’t know/no answer.
Leaving out the don’t know/no answers — and reporting percentages as if those numbers didn’t exist — raised eyebrows among other pollsters.
'What you’re telling me is unusual. Really unique. Very, very extremely rare,' David Hill, a nationally known pollster with Hill Research Consultants in Washington D.C., said of FIU’s method. 'The ‘unsures’ tell us many things about an issue: how strongly people feel about it, how well an issue is known.'”
Moreover, there are a host of other omissions, contradictions and conflict of interests.
This casts doubt on all of the poll's released numbers.
Will those journalists who wrote that a majority of Cuban-Americans support lifting the embargo correct their stories?
This is false for many reasons -- in this case, by Grenier's own admission.
Moreover, will those journalists who are citing FIU's Cuba poll numbers demand that the actual results be released with all of the respondent's answers?
Once again, by Grenier's own admission, answers were omitted from the results and the percentages purposely distorted.
Or, despite Grenier's own admission, will these journalists simply continue to regurgitate manipulated data and distorted results?
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
06/15 - 06/22
- From The White House: On Mujica and Castro
- Cuba's Censors Slip
- MSNBC Questions FIU's Cuba Poll
- N.Y. Post: Let Cuba Know Holding U.S. Hostage Carr...
- State: Cuba Remains Major Child Sex, Forced Labor ...
- Cuba and Venezuela Reps. Clash With Dissidents at ...
- Cuba Crackdown
- Name This Lede: On Cuban-American Policy Attitudes...
- Tweet of the Day: Chairman Menendez Meets With You...
- Will the Media Correct its FIU Cuba Poll Stories?
- From The State Department: On Alan Gross
- Democracy Leaders v. Country Club Elites, Pt.2
- Our Condolences to the Gross Family
- FIU's Cuba Poll: Manipulations, Omissions and Cont...
- Quote of the Week: On Repression of Cuban Activist...
- Castro Losing Battle to Control the Internet
- New International Appeal to Free Cuban Rapper #ElC...
- Tweet(s) of the Day: Cuba Stifles Dissent at U.N.
- FIU's Fungible Cuba Poll
- Another Prominent Cuban Dissident: Lifting the Emb...
- U.N. to Hear Testimony of Foul Play in Oswaldo Pay...
- Is Cuba Headed Towards Another "Black Spring"?
- Is Hillary Clinton Using the Cuban Embargo as Her ...
- Cuban Democracy Leader Antunez Re-Arrested, to be ...
- Riddle Me This: If the Embargo is "Castro's Best F...
- On Cuba's Brave Democrats
- Castro Intensifies Support for Nuclear Iran
- Hillary Should Say "Cuba Si, Castro No"
- The Fate of Castro's Business Partners
- Asking Dictators For Permission
- ▼ 06/15 - 06/22 (30)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)