From McClatchy News:
U.S. Reps meet with wife of prominent Cuban dissident who describes beatings, arrests
Five members of the U.S. House of Representatives, -- including four from Florida – met with the wife of Cuban dissident Jorge Luis García Pérez, who described the ongoing, systemic repression she and her husband have suffered.
Yris Tamara Pérez Aguilera is a human rights activist who has suffered threats, beatings and harassment at the hands of Cuban authorities because of her efforts, according to Rep. Joe Garcia, a Democrat from Miami who said he was “truly inspired by this couple’s untiring commitment to the Cuban people and their courage and bravery in the face of continuing abuses by the Cuban regime.”
Also at the meeting late Tuesday afternoon: Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R, Miami), Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R, Miami), Curt Clawson (R, Bonita Springs) and Rep. Albio Sires, a Democrat from New Jersey.
In a meeting with the House members and a short talk with reporters afterward, Pérez Aguilera described the arrests and ransacking of their home earlier this year. They took everything –- “They even took our family pictures,” she said through a translator.
She plans to meet with Senate officials on Wednesday.
at 10:17 PM Tuesday, July 29, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/27 - 08/03
- New Revelations About Cuban Spy Ana Belen Montes
- Did Nicolas Maduro Coerce Senator Landrieu?
- Asking for Permission to Report in Cuba
- Describing a Fickle Europe
- The Ladies in White Respond to Hillary's Cuba Comm...
- Quote of the Week: Cuban Socialism Remains the Sam...
- Rodiles to U.N. Secretary General: "For Another Cu...
- Support Religious Freedom in Cuba
- U.S. Commits Enforcement Malpractice in Cuba-North...
- Image of the Day: Yris Meets With Menendez and Rub...
- Cuban Dissident to Congressional Black Caucus: Sto...
- Was Raul's Son-in-Law Involved in Cuba-North Korea...
- U.S. Imposes Visa Ban on Venezuelan Officials
- Maduro Took Gunships and Sanctions to a Diplomatic...
- Antunez's Wife Visits Congress, Denounces Increase...
- International NGO Files U.N. Inquiry Into Attack o...
- North Korean Company Gets Sanctioned, Cuba Gets Le...
- Must-Read: The Real Cuban Blockade
- Quote of the Day: Cuban Rapper on Raul's "Reforms"...
- Deutsche Bank Shed Cuba Business
- Is North Korea Selling (Cuban) Arms to Hamas?
- WSJ: Putin Restores a Cuban Beachhead
- How Would You Feel if You Were Unjustly Jailed Eve...
- Cuba Takes a Repressive Turn Under Raul Castro
- ▼ 07/27 - 08/03 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)