Interesting how after the presence of another suspicious North Korean vessel (Mu Du Bong) in Cuba was exposed -- trying to avoid detection -- it headed to Veracruz, completely empty and its "disoriented" captain accidentally grounded it.
Sounds like he panicked.
From The Maritime Executive:
North Korean Ship Runs Aground in GoM
A North Korean freighter sailing from Havana, Cuba has reportedly ran aground in the Gulf of Mexico on Monday, roughly 12 kilometers from the Mexican port of Tuxpan.
According to Veracruz authorities, the captain of the Mu Du Bong was “disoriented” when the accident occurred. The freighter was empty, but specialized work will be needed to lift the 6,500-tonne ship from the sea floor.
It was not immediately known how long it would take to free the North Korean vessel.
There were no immediate reports of injuries or other damage. However, environmental officials were still determining if the reef at that location was damaged.
The 1983-built ship passed through the Panama Canal before its scheduled stop in Cuba.
Sound familiar? This incident comes a year after another North Korean vessel, which had been docked in Havana before trying to cross the Panama Canal, was stopped by authorities and found to be carrying undeclared military supplies.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/13 - 07/20
- The AP's Apparent Disdain for Dissidents
- ALBA's Favorite Lobbyist
- A Sign of Growing Threats in Latin America
- How to Stifle "Reforms"
- Mariel's Unimpressive Start
- Castro Blames Ukraine and Israel
- Waiting for the Consequences
- Sanctioned Russian Companies Have Cuba Ties
- Tweet of the Day: What Raul and Putin Discussed
- Amnesty International: On Sentencing of Three Cuba...
- Russia to Reopen Military-Intelligence Gathering F...
- North Korea-Cuba: Ships of Subterfuge
- Tweet of the Day: On Foreign Journalists in Havana...
- State Department: Detention of Cuban Activists
- Did North Korean Vessel in Cuba Panic After Detect...
- How to Apologize for Castro's Monopolies
- Castro Reaffirms His Import Monopoly
- Putin in Havana: Seeking an Ally or a Satellite?
- Another Suspicious North Korean Vessel in Cuba
- Over 100 Ladies in White Arrested (Again)
- Tweet of the Day: On Ladies in White Arrest
- 20th Anniversary: A Massacre That Will Never Be Fo...
- ▼ 07/13 - 07/20 (22)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)