Over the weekend, Raul Castro's puppet National Assembly convened to analyze Cuba's economic woes.
During the session, it was announced that Cuba was -- once again -- downgrading its GDP forecast to 1.4%, after recording only 0.6% during the first half of the year.
In order to achieve economic growth, the Castro regime needs to raise its GDP by 5-7% per year.
Needless to say, they are nowhere near this.
Despite constant media reports praising Raul's "reforms" and anecdotes about Cuba's new "entrepreneurs" (without rights), the fact remains that all economic indicators show the economy is in the tank.
Thus, a). Raul's "reforms" are cosmetic (and thus -- a failure). b). the institutionalized "self-employment" sector is negligible (in real economic terms). c). all of the above.
If you have any doubt, note Castro's own words regarding the "reforms":
"This process, to be successful, must be conducted with the appropriate gradualness and be accompanied by the permanent control of different party and government structures at all levels."
It's not about openness. It's about Castro's "permanent control."
- ► 2016 (650)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/06 - 07/13
- Putin, Cuba and Propaganda Ploys
- Cardinal Ortega's Not-Loyal-Enough Opposition
- Why Does Castro Feel So Threatened by Independent ...
- How Google Could Easily Help the Cuban People
- The Fate of Cubans if the U.S. Normalizes Relation...
- Quote of the Week: On Raul's "Reforms"
- Images: Vigils Honor Victims of Cuban Tugboat Mass...
- The Nerve of Odebrecht
- Famed Cuban Artist Arrested, Faces Summary Trial
- Confession of a Cuban State Security Agent
- State Department on Migration Talks With Cuba
- If the Embargo is "Castro's Best Friend"...
- Bipartisan Senators Support Probe of Cuban Plot Ag...
- Thursday: D.C. Vigil to Honor Victims of Cuban Tug...
- Rubio: Cuban Intel Capability in U.S. is Underesti...
- WaPo: Cuban Agents Suspected in Menendez Smear Cam...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuelan Official Vacations in...
- Foreign Policy: Don't Believe Castro's "Gay-Friend...
- For Raul, Reforms Are About "Permanent Control"
- Over 100 Ladies in White Arrested
- Anniversary of the Canimar River Massacre
- When Dollars Trump Democracy
- Image of the Week: Cuban Soldiers Marching in Vene...
- Then and Now: On Car Sales in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Cuban Regime Demolishes House Ch...
- Maduro Names New Cuban Economic Adviser
- ▼ 07/06 - 07/13 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)