Excerpt by Erasmo Calzadilla in The Havana Times:
Cuba’s political stage is set up as follows --
On the one side, we have the people, not the real people but the people presupposed by the Party Guidelines: an innocent people, as helpless as a small child that tells the leaders its problems so that they can solve them.
On the other side of the equation we have the leaders: a group of know-it-all technocrats and responsible patriarchs who know what to do to solve the said problems, provided people work hard and remain disciplined.
If the technocrats wanted (this is the best part) they could solve social problems through unpopular measures, as their super-evil counterparts do in the rest of the world, but their commitment towards the people prevents them from going so far.
Ultimately, I am grateful for such unsubtle politicians, for politicians who think like foremen and bare themselves and call a spade a spade from time to time. I am confident such insolent remarks will someday end up angering Cubans and awakening their civic pride, their dormant dignity and their political awareness. If it happened to me, why can’t it happen to others?
- ► 2016 (645)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/20 - 07/27
- Congress: Sanction Cuban Officials Responsible for...
- A Question That Needs to be Asked
- Quote of the Week: On Crist, Castro and Cuba
- Another Unsuccessful Negotiation for Alan Gross' R...
- More Venezuelan Officials Arrested
- Sham Trial Against Venezuelan Opposition Leader Be...
- Venezuelan General Arrested in Aruba, U.S. Will Se...
- How Obama Could Easily Help Cuba's "Self-Employed"...
- The Nation Goes to Cuba -- Says "Viva Castro!"
- Tweet of the Day: On Oswaldo Paya and a Free Cuba
- Quote(s) of the Day: Cuba, Israel and Gaza
- Xi's "Blah-Blah" Trip to Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Castro's Import Monopoly
- How Cuba's Political Stage is Set Up
- Obama Should Stand With Democratic Forces in Venez...
- WaPo: Two Years Later, Paya's Death Still Awaits P...
- Rosa Maria Paya: Castro Killed My Father, Spain He...
- U.S. Business Groups Swayed Congress, But Failed t...
- Cuba's War on Wi-Fi
- Same Old Castro
- ▼ 07/20 - 07/27 (20)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)