From The PanAm Post:
Che’s Battle Comrade Becomes Maduro’s New Economic Adviser
Cuba's Dominance over Venezuela Out in the Open for All to See
Venezuela’s President Nicolás Maduro announced a new economic adviser for his cabinet, Orlando Borrego. Unlike the rest of his presidential team, Borrego’s appointment has caused quite a stir. His past as Che Guevara’s battle companion during the Cuban revolution, along with high-level posts under the Castro’s regime, has fueled speculation of a eventual radicalization for Maduro’s socialist model.
With an implied annual inflation rate of 140 percent, Maduro has had little choice but to shuffle the staff of his economic bureau. With former Minister of Planning Jorge Giordani out of the picture, the potential for a less-orthodox socialism arose. However, such hopes faded with Maduro’s most recent appointment:
“Orlando Borrego … is assigned to a special team alongside the minister for planning, Ricardo Menéndez, Jesús Martínez [minister for labor] and other colleagues who are preparing a set of plans… to execute a complete and deep revolution in the public administration, in the state administration, a revolution inside the revolution,” the president stated on Tuesday during his weekly radio show, In Contact With Maduro.
Borrego, a 77-year-old economist who acquired his education in Havana and Moscow, “was a peer of Ernesto Che Guevara in the battles of the revolution,” Maduro explained.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/06 - 07/13
- Putin, Cuba and Propaganda Ploys
- Cardinal Ortega's Not-Loyal-Enough Opposition
- Why Does Castro Feel So Threatened by Independent ...
- How Google Could Easily Help the Cuban People
- The Fate of Cubans if the U.S. Normalizes Relation...
- Quote of the Week: On Raul's "Reforms"
- Images: Vigils Honor Victims of Cuban Tugboat Mass...
- The Nerve of Odebrecht
- Famed Cuban Artist Arrested, Faces Summary Trial
- Confession of a Cuban State Security Agent
- State Department on Migration Talks With Cuba
- If the Embargo is "Castro's Best Friend"...
- Bipartisan Senators Support Probe of Cuban Plot Ag...
- Thursday: D.C. Vigil to Honor Victims of Cuban Tug...
- Rubio: Cuban Intel Capability in U.S. is Underesti...
- WaPo: Cuban Agents Suspected in Menendez Smear Cam...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuelan Official Vacations in...
- Foreign Policy: Don't Believe Castro's "Gay-Friend...
- For Raul, Reforms Are About "Permanent Control"
- Over 100 Ladies in White Arrested
- Anniversary of the Canimar River Massacre
- When Dollars Trump Democracy
- Image of the Week: Cuban Soldiers Marching in Vene...
- Then and Now: On Car Sales in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Cuban Regime Demolishes House Ch...
- Maduro Names New Cuban Economic Adviser
- ▼ 07/06 - 07/13 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)