Over 100 members of The Ladies in White were arrested yesterday in Havana, Santiago, Matanzas, Guantanamo and Holguin, as they tried to attend Sunday Mass.
According to their leader, Berta Soler, over 50 were arrested in Havana alone.
The Ladies in White are a pro-democracy group composed of the wives, daughters, sisters, mothers and other relatives of Cuban political prisoners.
In two particularly egregious cases, Cira Vega de la Fe, the 75-year old aunt of Hortensia Alfonso Vega, a member of The Ladies in White, was intentionally hit by a police vehicle as she headed to the station in Cardenas to inquire about her niece's imprisonment. She suffered various injuries.
Meanwhile, Yida Hernandez Pena, a member of The Ladies in White in Holguin, was knocked off her bicycle by a state security vehicle, as she made her way to Mass. She was hospitalized with head injuries.
Additionally, over a dozen activists from the Cuban Patriotic Union (UNPACU) were arrested, including its co-leader, Felix Navarro.
Also arrested was the President of the Association of Independent Cuban Educators, Roberto Lopez Ramos.
More "reform" you can't believe in.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/06 - 07/13
- Putin, Cuba and Propaganda Ploys
- Cardinal Ortega's Not-Loyal-Enough Opposition
- Why Does Castro Feel So Threatened by Independent ...
- How Google Could Easily Help the Cuban People
- The Fate of Cubans if the U.S. Normalizes Relation...
- Quote of the Week: On Raul's "Reforms"
- Images: Vigils Honor Victims of Cuban Tugboat Mass...
- The Nerve of Odebrecht
- Famed Cuban Artist Arrested, Faces Summary Trial
- Confession of a Cuban State Security Agent
- State Department on Migration Talks With Cuba
- If the Embargo is "Castro's Best Friend"...
- Bipartisan Senators Support Probe of Cuban Plot Ag...
- Thursday: D.C. Vigil to Honor Victims of Cuban Tug...
- Rubio: Cuban Intel Capability in U.S. is Underesti...
- WaPo: Cuban Agents Suspected in Menendez Smear Cam...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuelan Official Vacations in...
- Foreign Policy: Don't Believe Castro's "Gay-Friend...
- For Raul, Reforms Are About "Permanent Control"
- Over 100 Ladies in White Arrested
- Anniversary of the Canimar River Massacre
- When Dollars Trump Democracy
- Image of the Week: Cuban Soldiers Marching in Vene...
- Then and Now: On Car Sales in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Cuban Regime Demolishes House Ch...
- Maduro Names New Cuban Economic Adviser
- ▼ 07/06 - 07/13 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)