From the U.S. Department of State:
Migration Talks With Cuba
On Wednesday, July 9, U.S. and Cuban officials met in Washington to discuss the implementation of the 1994 and 1995 U.S.-Cuba Migration Accords. These talks are held semi-annually. The U.S. delegation was led by Deputy Assistant Secretary for Western Hemisphere Affairs Alex Lee and the Cuban delegation was led by the Foreign Ministry’s Director General for U.S. Affairs, Josefina Vidal Ferreiro.
Under the Accords, both governments pledged to promote safe, legal, and orderly migration between Cuba and the United States. The agenda for the talks reflected longstanding U.S. priorities on U.S.-Cuba migration issues, as well as certain areas where cooperation is in the U.S. national interest, including aviation security, search and rescue at sea, and visa processing. The U.S. delegation also highlighted other areas of ongoing cooperation relevant to migration, including the exchange of information on the interdiction of undocumented migrants, and related issues.
The U.S. delegation reiterated its call for the release of Alan Gross, who was arrested by Cuban authorities on December 3, 2009, and later sentenced to 15 years in prison for facilitating uncensored internet contact between a small, religious community on the island and the rest of the world.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/06 - 07/13
- Putin, Cuba and Propaganda Ploys
- Cardinal Ortega's Not-Loyal-Enough Opposition
- Why Does Castro Feel So Threatened by Independent ...
- How Google Could Easily Help the Cuban People
- The Fate of Cubans if the U.S. Normalizes Relation...
- Quote of the Week: On Raul's "Reforms"
- Images: Vigils Honor Victims of Cuban Tugboat Mass...
- The Nerve of Odebrecht
- Famed Cuban Artist Arrested, Faces Summary Trial
- Confession of a Cuban State Security Agent
- State Department on Migration Talks With Cuba
- If the Embargo is "Castro's Best Friend"...
- Bipartisan Senators Support Probe of Cuban Plot Ag...
- Thursday: D.C. Vigil to Honor Victims of Cuban Tug...
- Rubio: Cuban Intel Capability in U.S. is Underesti...
- WaPo: Cuban Agents Suspected in Menendez Smear Cam...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuelan Official Vacations in...
- Foreign Policy: Don't Believe Castro's "Gay-Friend...
- For Raul, Reforms Are About "Permanent Control"
- Over 100 Ladies in White Arrested
- Anniversary of the Canimar River Massacre
- When Dollars Trump Democracy
- Image of the Week: Cuban Soldiers Marching in Vene...
- Then and Now: On Car Sales in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Cuban Regime Demolishes House Ch...
- Maduro Names New Cuban Economic Adviser
- ▼ 07/06 - 07/13 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)