Over 15 independent teachers were arrested by the Castro regime today as they tried to attend an education conference they had organized.
The purpose of this conference was to discuss issues related to education, and prepare a document of critiques and recommendations to present to the Ministry of Education.
The Independent Teachers Association of Cuba is a dissident organization composed of hundreds of teachers who have been fired for their "political views" or for their criticism of the island's education system.
Since this morning, the home of the Association's president, Roberto Lopez Ramos, has been surrounded by state security officials.
Among those arrested were Luis Díaz Díaz, Ada Becerra, Yoel Medrano Espinosa, Osmel and Orisbel Borges Rodríguez, Niurka Gómez Roy, Nelson Acosta Rio, José Hernandez López, Felix Navarro, Francisco Rangel, Milaidis Quimero and Sandy Quintana Alfonso.
Why does the Castro regime feel so threatened by these teachers?
The picture below is from a similar conference in 2009:
- ► 2016 (645)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/06 - 07/13
- Putin, Cuba and Propaganda Ploys
- Cardinal Ortega's Not-Loyal-Enough Opposition
- Why Does Castro Feel So Threatened by Independent ...
- How Google Could Easily Help the Cuban People
- The Fate of Cubans if the U.S. Normalizes Relation...
- Quote of the Week: On Raul's "Reforms"
- Images: Vigils Honor Victims of Cuban Tugboat Mass...
- The Nerve of Odebrecht
- Famed Cuban Artist Arrested, Faces Summary Trial
- Confession of a Cuban State Security Agent
- State Department on Migration Talks With Cuba
- If the Embargo is "Castro's Best Friend"...
- Bipartisan Senators Support Probe of Cuban Plot Ag...
- Thursday: D.C. Vigil to Honor Victims of Cuban Tug...
- Rubio: Cuban Intel Capability in U.S. is Underesti...
- WaPo: Cuban Agents Suspected in Menendez Smear Cam...
- Tweet of the Day: Venezuelan Official Vacations in...
- Foreign Policy: Don't Believe Castro's "Gay-Friend...
- For Raul, Reforms Are About "Permanent Control"
- Over 100 Ladies in White Arrested
- Anniversary of the Canimar River Massacre
- When Dollars Trump Democracy
- Image of the Week: Cuban Soldiers Marching in Vene...
- Then and Now: On Car Sales in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Cuban Regime Demolishes House Ch...
- Maduro Names New Cuban Economic Adviser
- ▼ 07/06 - 07/13 (26)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)