From the Stockholm-based, Civil Rights Defenders:
The EU must put pressure on Cuba to respect human rights
The EU and Cuba held subsequent negotiations concerning the possibility of future political dialogue and assistance between the two sides. To ensure that the agreement will lead to human rights improvements in Cuba, Civil Rights Defenders, together with the Cuban Campaign, Por Otra Cuba, have developed a platform on how these negotiations should be conducted and what should be included in the agreement.
Negotiations between the EU and Cuba, to achieve a bilateral agreement on the subjects of political dialogue and assistance, began in early 2014. Cuba is currently the only country in Latin America the EU has no bilateral agreement with, the reason being the total lack of respect for human rights in the country.
When the Cuban government signed the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and the Convention on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (CESCR) in 2008 it represented a first step towards change. But since then, no real improvements have followed as far as human rights is concerned.
Civil Rights Defenders calls on the EU to put pressure on Cuba to ratify and implement human rights conventions – before any discussion on an agreement can continue. Prior to any final agreement it is essential that the EU includes civil society in Cuba and the political opposition in the dialogue in order for it to have legitimacy amongst the population.
During the negotiations, it has also emerged, that the EU, in addition to the agreement on political dialogue and assistance, intends to initiate a trade agreement with Cuba. The platform states that no trade agreement should be entered into before Cuba ratifies and implements the two human rights conventions.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
08/31 - 09/07
- Tweet of the Week: On Cuba's Record Political Arre...
- Eye on Cuba: A Closer Look at Repression
- Presidential Determination to Extend Cuba Sanction...
- How Cuban Intelligence Targets U.S. Academic Trave...
- How Cuban Intelligence Seeks to Influence U.S. Pol...
- FBI Report: Cuban Intelligence Aggressively Target...
- The Problem With Regurgitating Castro's "Statistic...
- New Cuban Spy Case Still a Mystery
- Castro Blames U.S., Israel for ISIS
- Tweet(s) of the Day: McCain Responds to Castro
- State Department: Cuba Does Not Meet Summit of Ame...
- Castro Sets New Record of Political Arrests
- Quote of the Day: On the Spike in Cuban Rafters
- Female Democracy Activist Under Siege
- Cuba's Serial Monopolist
- Tweet of the Day: Where's the Letter to Raul?
- Cuban Spies Target U.S. Satellite Intelligence Age...
- How Tourists Don't Help the Cuban People
- Name This Dictatorship
- European NGO: EU Must Pressure Cuba to Respect Hum...
- ▼ 08/31 - 09/07 (20)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)