Just when it seemed the U.S. Senate's Venezuela sanctions bill would unanimously pass before the August recess, Senator Mary Landrieu (D-Louisiana) placed a hold on the legislation.
According to the AP, Senator Landrieu, who had never previously raised any issues about the legislation, suddenly placed a last-minute hold on passage due to concern about "the negative impact" it could have on a (Venezuelan-owned) Citgo refinery in Lake Charles, Louisiana.
The bill will now have to wait until September for possible Senate consideration.
Note that the Venezuela sanctions bill has nothing to do with oil.
It simply sanctions Venezuelan officials involved in human rights violations.
At least 43 people have been killed and thousands arrested, including opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez, since February, when student protests erupted against Nicolas Maduro's authoritarian behavior.
Apparently, Maduro is using the same strategy that he used against The Netherlands last week, when he threatened to sanction Royal Dutch Shell's operations, unless Aruba released and repatriated U.S.-indicted narco-trafficker, General Hugo Carvajal.
The Dutch shamefully complied.
However, unlike some European nations, one would hope a U.S. Senator wouldn't fall for such coercion.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
07/27 - 08/03
- New Revelations About Cuban Spy Ana Belen Montes
- Did Nicolas Maduro Coerce Senator Landrieu?
- Asking for Permission to Report in Cuba
- Describing a Fickle Europe
- The Ladies in White Respond to Hillary's Cuba Comm...
- Quote of the Week: Cuban Socialism Remains the Sam...
- Rodiles to U.N. Secretary General: "For Another Cu...
- Support Religious Freedom in Cuba
- U.S. Commits Enforcement Malpractice in Cuba-North...
- Image of the Day: Yris Meets With Menendez and Rub...
- Cuban Dissident to Congressional Black Caucus: Sto...
- Was Raul's Son-in-Law Involved in Cuba-North Korea...
- U.S. Imposes Visa Ban on Venezuelan Officials
- Maduro Took Gunships and Sanctions to a Diplomatic...
- Antunez's Wife Visits Congress, Denounces Increase...
- International NGO Files U.N. Inquiry Into Attack o...
- North Korean Company Gets Sanctioned, Cuba Gets Le...
- Must-Read: The Real Cuban Blockade
- Quote of the Day: Cuban Rapper on Raul's "Reforms"...
- Deutsche Bank Shed Cuba Business
- Is North Korea Selling (Cuban) Arms to Hamas?
- WSJ: Putin Restores a Cuban Beachhead
- How Would You Feel if You Were Unjustly Jailed Eve...
- Cuba Takes a Repressive Turn Under Raul Castro
- ▼ 07/27 - 08/03 (24)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)