From 14ymedio (courtesy of Translating Cuba):
Authorities Seize a Shipment of Seafood Hidden in an Ambulance
Cuban authorities recently seized a shipment of 270 pounds of shrimp and 110 pounds of lobster being transported hidden in an ambulance, the official newspaper Granma reported in its edition of Tuesday 19 August.
The official organ of the Communist Party refers to unlicensed fishermen as “internal enemies against whom we must intensify the struggle.” The author of the text, Ortelio González Martínez, analyzes the situation of illegal fishing in the province of Ciego de Avila where, he says, “There are still black holes into which seafood escapes.”
The journalist said that so far 18 contracts have been cancelled “for repeated breaches of catch plans, boats out of commission for a long period of time, and sales out of the province,” and he emphasizes the growing danger posed by the illegal seafood sales networks.
Despite being unavailable in the official markets, seafood is widely available in the informal trade networks on the Island. Harvesting shellfish is illegal for most fisherman—with or without a license—and is the exclusive domain of State or private cooperatives. The State has sole responsibility for managing seafood, which can be destined for export, or consumed at tourist resorts on the Island.
at 1:55 PM Sunday, August 24, 2014
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
08/24 - 08/31
- Vatican Envoy Speaks Truth About Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: Chairman Menendez on Vatican Env...
- Cuba: Religious Freedom Violations Continue to Ris...
- Internet for Cubans vs. Helping Castro's Censorshi...
- Another Chapter in the EU-Cuba Two-Step
- Tweet of the Day: Internet for Foreigners
- Quote of the Day: Only Freedom Can Bring Hope
- Should the U.S. Follow Europe's Fickle Lead?
- Cuban and European NGOs: Include Civil Society and...
- Tweet of the Day: U.N. Human Rights Council's Agen...
- Spanish Bank Tries to Impede Judgments Against Cub...
- Where Internet Censorship is Strongest
- Image of the Day: Kudos to Pierce Brosnan
- Tweet of the Day: On Violent Repression Against UN...
- Venezuelans (Cubans) Don't Believe Maduro's (Castr...
- Image of the Day: Female Activist Beaten by Cuban ...
- Propagandists, Anti-Sanctions Lobbyists or "Modera...
- Mujica Criticizes (Embodies) Double-Standards
- Tweet of the Day: 59th Straight Sunday of Repressi...
- Concern Over the Fate of Two Cuban Political Priso...
- Where Unlicensed Fishermen Are "Internal Enemies" ...
- ▼ 08/24 - 08/31 (21)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)