From this week's FBI Advisory, "Cuban Intelligence Targeting of Academia":
Hazards of Travel to Cuba: Not surprisingly, a key venue the CuIS ("Cuban Intelligence Services") use to identify individuals of interest is Cuba itself. The CuIS will actively exploit visitors to the island. For instance, academic travel to Cuba is targeted by a specific department of the CuIS. This department is supported by all of the counterintelligence resources the Government of Cuba can marshal on the island. Intelligence officers will come into contact with the academic travelers. They will stay in the same accommodations and participate in the activities arranged for the travelers. This clearly provides an opportunity to identify targets. Reports are written on visitors that may result in targeting opportunities for the CuIS. It is also worth reiterating that while a targeted individual is in Cuba, he/she is particularly vulnerable to CuIS attempts to obtain compromising information that may create opportunities for coercive CuIS recruitment practices.
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
08/31 - 09/07
- Tweet of the Week: On Cuba's Record Political Arre...
- Eye on Cuba: A Closer Look at Repression
- Presidential Determination to Extend Cuba Sanction...
- How Cuban Intelligence Targets U.S. Academic Trave...
- How Cuban Intelligence Seeks to Influence U.S. Pol...
- FBI Report: Cuban Intelligence Aggressively Target...
- The Problem With Regurgitating Castro's "Statistic...
- New Cuban Spy Case Still a Mystery
- Castro Blames U.S., Israel for ISIS
- Tweet(s) of the Day: McCain Responds to Castro
- State Department: Cuba Does Not Meet Summit of Ame...
- Castro Sets New Record of Political Arrests
- Quote of the Day: On the Spike in Cuban Rafters
- Female Democracy Activist Under Siege
- Cuba's Serial Monopolist
- Tweet of the Day: Where's the Letter to Raul?
- Cuban Spies Target U.S. Satellite Intelligence Age...
- How Tourists Don't Help the Cuban People
- Name This Dictatorship
- European NGO: EU Must Pressure Cuba to Respect Hum...
- ▼ 08/31 - 09/07 (20)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)