"As we do every time this year, Presidents and Prime Ministers converge on this great city to advance important work. But as leaders, we are not the most important people here today. It is the civil society leaders who, in many ways, are going to have the more lasting impact, because as the saying goes, the most important title is not president or prime minister; the most important title is citizen.
It is citizens -- ordinary men and women, determined to forge their own future -- who throughout history have sparked all the great change and progress [...] It’s citizens who, right now, are standing up for the freedom that is their God-given right.
And I’ve seen it myself, in the advocates and activists that I’ve met all over the world. I’ve seen it in the courage of Berta Soler, the leader of Cuba’s Ladies in White who endure harassment and arrest in order to win freedom for their loved ones and for the Cuban people."
-- U.S. President Barack Obama, during remarks today at the Clinton Global Initiative, New York City, 9/23/14
Click below (or here) to watch President Obama's remarks:
at 11:01 AM Wednesday, September 24, 2014
- ► 2016 (655)
- ► 2015 (1080)
09/21 - 09/28
- State: Summit's Commitment to Democracy Should be ...
- Two Cuban Fellows
- More Options for Cubans to Have Internet Connectiv...
- Tweet of the Day: Obama Applauds Cuba's Berta Sole...
- Tweet of the Day, Pt. 2: Countries Supporting Assa...
- Castro Supports Assad at U.N.
- The New York Times Celebrates Censorship in Cuba
- Castro Loves "People-to-People" Trips
- A Harrowing 10 Days at Sea
- Obama (and Hillary) Should Heed The Ladies in Whit...
- Obama Highlights Cuba's Ladies in White in Remarks...
- Issues Reports: Cuban Baseball's Open Secret
- How Cubans Can Have Internet Access Overnight
- Four Species of Journalists in Cuba
- Tweet of the Day: On Foreign Interference in Venez...
- Misreporting (and Deceiving) on Cuba's "Private" R...
- Foreign Investment Continues to Fall in Cuba
- Cuban Military Desperate for Chinese Tourists
- Caught on Film: Female Activists Protest in Havana...
- How MLB Can Protect Cuban Baseball Players
- Venezuela Shouldn't Get U.N. Security Council Seat...
- Solidarity or Propaganda?
- ▼ 09/21 - 09/28 (22)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)