Below are this week's remarks by blind lawyer, Juan Carlos Gonzalez Leiva, at the U.N. Human Rights Council in Geneva.
As we previously posted, the Castro regime's delegation interrupted Gonzalez Leiva three times and became threatening.
United Nations Human Rights Council
September 15, 2014
My name is Juan Carlos González Leiva. I've spent 20 years as a blind lawyer defending human rights, suffering beatings, arbitrary arrests and organized mobs. From March 4, 2002 to April 26, 2004, I was detained in the Police Center of Pedernales, Holguín, without trial, for celebrating a congress about human rights. There, they systematically sprayed chemical substances over me that burned my skin and occasioned hallucinations, strong headaches and allergies.
I was confined without access to the press, telephone, correspondence, or religious assistance. Murderous prisoners threatened me and prevented me from sleeping night and day. In my cell were left exposed electric cables with current.
Human rights defenders in my country are victims of a constant policy of repression.
For example: In 2014 I was beaten together with 10 activists in the street. Agents dislocated my left leg and right shoulder and I lost consciousness when they applied a choke hold. Jorge Luis García Pérez “Antúnez”and his wife Yris Tamara Perez Aguilera were arrested, beaten and transferred to the local police headquarters where Antúnez was placed in a choke hold losing consciousness several times and was injected by state security agents with an unknown substance. His home was invaded and sacked.
Other activists arbitrarily detained and beaten were: José Daniel Ferrer García, Yusmila Reina Ferrera, Geobanis Izaguirre Hernández and Ernesto Ortiz Betancourt.
I ask the United Nations protection for me and all the activists inside Cuba because soon I will return to my country to continue defending human rights.
(Courtesy of the Cuban Democratic Directorate.)
- ► 2016 (694)
- ► 2015 (1080)
09/14 - 09/21
- Chinese Military Illegally Sold U.S. Telecom Equip...
- Bringing Freedom of Expression to Cuba, One Story ...
- Tweet of the Week: Venezuela on U.N. Security Coun...
- The Speech Cuba's Regime Didn't Want You to Hear
- Imprisoned Cuban Labor Leader in Critical Conditio...
- More on Cuba's Continued (Tragic) Exodus
- PR Firm Pays Celebrities for Foreign Propaganda Ju...
- A False Choice for Cuban Baseball Players
- Cuban Spy Signals Intercepted
- S&P Downgrades Venezuela, Faces One-in-Two Chance ...
- U.N. Agency: Cuban Intelligence Defector is a Refu...
- Must-Watch: Cuban Regime Tries to Silence Blind Ac...
- Quote(s) of the Week: On American Hostages in Cuba...
- Image of the Day: Another Rogue Regime, Another Am...
- Cuba's "Doctors Without Freedom"
- Quote of the Day: Venezuela's Military Neo-Tyranny...
- Cuban Doctors Flee Venezuela in Record Numbers
- North Korea-Cuba Arms Trafficker Continues Operati...
- Remembering the Cuban-Americans of 9/11
- Twenty Years Later: Cuba's Raft Exodus Continues
- ▼ 09/14 - 09/21 (20)
- ► 2013 (1251)
- ► 2012 (1158)
- ► 2011 (1031)
- ► 2010 (1042)
- ► 2009 (933)